Why doesn't Second Life load?

Franny Contepomi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Whenever I try loading Second Life an error message saying  "Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them.

If you continue to receive this message, contact costumer service"

Can it be my video card? I have ATI Radeon Xpress 1150, is it compatible?

I have Vista, I have enough Space on my Memory.

I have played Second Life on my computer before.

Please, help me. I would really like to play Second Life again.

Thanks, Franny

13 answers to this question

Hi Franny,

Ive seen this a couple of times when the version of the graphics driver is one that is installed with windows and not the manufacturers driver. Try to locate and install the drivers from Ati for your specific card and that should resolve the issue for you. From what Ive seen its not that the driver is "bad" but just doesnt have all the features enabled for use with Second life.

Hope that helps.

Hi again,

I think the first thing for you to look at is the system requirments page located here:

http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/?lang=en-US

From what I see there it may actually be a case of the card not meeting the requirements of Second lIfe.

It may still be possible to get sl to run with your system, at least on a limited basis, with the latest drivers for your system. Unfortunately with all the possible variations in hardware/ drivers etc. it would be irresponsible for me to take on walking you through the process.

• Like 1

Okay I have looked on the requirment page

I do see on the bottom of the requirments page that they have not tested my card on Second Life. Hence they are not sure if it is compatible.

I still have confidence that in the near future, I will be able to play Second Life on my computer again!

I will keep up my confident attitude and hope for the best.

Thanks again, Franny

Carolyn, is this site legit?

Because I have been to many sites like this before that have turned out to be fakes.

I'm just trying to make sure.

As I said before I am not very good with this kind of stuff and I don't want to accidently use a non legit website.

Thank you for your answer though, I will try out the website as soon as you reply.

Thanks, Franny

I dont think that some people are actually reading all of the information. Franny said that SL has worked before using this card and system. It's NOW telling her there's an error. What you might try doing Franny is going into your add hardware in the SETTINGS then go into CONTROL panel. There you should be able to chose add hardware. or update hardware. Chose your video card and follow the instructions from there. Being that you've got VISTA it's more than likely that your video card driver is in the choices that are preloaded. Just either update the driver when it asks or have it search for the correct or compatable driver.

If that fails try going to the net and search for a site called DRIVER ZONE. That is ultra safe and supported by the major software/hardware creators.

You are wise to be cautious Franny. I chose that site, because it makes it clear that you are getting the trial version. Here is the Driver Genius main site where I got the trial and Professional versions myself http://www.driver-soft.com/INDEX.html

Also, if you are concerned about site security, you might consider this browser add-on http://www.mywot.com/

I'm assuming you have good anti-malware software already?

If you are worried about third party sites, getting the driver from your card manufacturer isn't too difficult, either. You mentioned you have a ATi card, so

• go to http://ati.com
    • You'll be redirected to an AMD page. Don't worry, AMD bought ATi some time ago, so this is alright.
  • at the top right there's a "Download Drivers" box
    • choose Component Category: Graphics
    • Operating System: Windows Vista (You didn't mention if yours was 32 or 64bit.)
    • Product line: Radeon
    • according to AMD your card has an X300 core, so choose "Radeon X300 series"
  • click view results
    • there might be several options. (Full Software Suite or Individual Downloads) Whatever you choose, make sure the "Display Driver" component is included, and you should be fine.

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.