Why am I crashing when audio is enabled on both LL Viewer and Singularity?

Jace Vendetta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This has been going on for a few days where if my audio is enabled i will crash when TPing to another area or Home randomly.  If I do not have it set, then I will complete the TP, but when turning the audio on, 8 times out of 10, I will crash anyway.  This is happening on both the LL Viewer and Singularity.  Any thoughts?  Oh, I'm on Mac.  :)

2 answers to this question

It sounds like you don't have enough available bandwidth to support both streaming media and your normal viewer needs. Normally, that means that your streaming media will suffer, chattering or cutting out altogether, but it could also interfere with important viewer functions like teleporting.  I know it sounds counterintuitive, but open Preferences >>> Network & Cache (or its equivalent on your own viewer) and reduce your Maximum Bandwidth to something like 800 kB/sec.  My guess is that it's set too high right now.  Perhaps it was reset during your latest viewer upgrade.

Jace Vendetta wrote:

This has been going on for a few days where if my audio is enabled i will crash when TPing to another area or Home randomly.  If I do not have it set, then I will complete the TP, but when turning the audio on, 8 times out of 10, I will crash anyway.  This is happening on both the LL Viewer and Singularity.  Any thoughts?  Oh, I'm on Mac.  
:)

There's a known problem with Macs crashing with certain specific audio streams - it appears to have to do with their playing ads from a different web location than the main stream. This BUG report describes it:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-5296

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.