after log in it takes several minutes before anything happens - Why ?

Ona Waffle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For about a week, or maybe two, after I log in my avi is a cloud and I get no message notifications or inventroy updates for several minutes. When I get my avi rezzed, then the messages NC etc all appear at the same time. I also see the last few items of my inventroy loading at this time too. 

Once loaded sl works fine (until I crash!). I have not heard others mention this issue, so I assume its my system. any ideas what it could be?

I am on Firestorm 4.5.1 (38838) Oct 28 2013 02:01:33 (Firestorm-Beta) with Havok support on a Mac. 

I don't believe there have been any system wide changes that would account for this, Ona.  You (or at least I) can never tell about any given sim, I know my  home (mainland)sim is slower some days than others about letting me rez, sometimes I have to ask for a reset to successfully wear attachments. So, my first suggestion, when you see this happening, try logging into a quiet Linden sim, like Hatton, or Hippo Hollow, and see if you rez faster there.

If its affecting you in *all* sims, then I would suspect your internet connection.  In the browser, look at the report you get from the Help|About drop-down.  The last line shows the packet loss, and if that is more than about 1 or 2 %, then you have found the problem, clear up the packet loss, and you should fix the lag.  A classic cause of sporadic high packet loss is outside interfernece if you are using wi-fi.  And even if you have a direct wire, sometimes the router needs rebooting.  My own router never seems to benfit from a reboot for SL, although it needs it from time to time to keep the iPad happy.  And I have friends who need to reboot modem regularly to keep SL happy.

Here is a good link for looking at connections. http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Good luck, hope this helps.

This is definitely a problem localised within your machine or network.

First: You might want to decrease the size of your inventory below ~20,000 items and clear any notifications in the top-right of your viewer.

Mac OS X is the lowest performance operating environment for Second Life, it's possible that you're pulling so much data so quickly that your NIC, router or other hardware ignores requests for a while. The additional OGL strain on Mac OS X will likely crash your system before other comparable systems will crash.

Ensure you're using a wired network connection. At least for the purposes of resolving this issue, do not use Wifi.

If it persists beyond this: Almost certainly a local connection problem, likely to do with routing or NAT.

Check firewall(s), router and associated network hardware. You will probably end up replacing your router.

You should post more detailed technical information about your system/network if you require further advice.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.