Information Requested by LL

Nancy Deimatov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Soo,

i opened my email today, and found out that LL is requiring some information about me... all that ID and TAX ID Information of people who cash out. 

I'm not from US/Canada, and as the W8-BEN form kinda says: I'll pay 30% of every income...

So that means i'll have to pay 30% of every withdrawn on SL and become a tax payer for the US?

Nancy,

Just file the Foreign Citizen documents and provide the information requested. Failure to file the necessary paperwork will force Linden Lab to withhold a portion of each payout transaction you request from them. That withholding will be sent to the IRS for resolution if you fail to do this in a timely manner.

What if any tax you'll pay to the US will depend on if your country has a tax treaty with the US and what the treaty says about it.  Most likely if you don't pay to the US you will have to pay taxes on it in your country.as the US may be required under the treaty to report the income to your country. You should contact your countries tax authority to find out what tax treaty exists with the US and how it applies to you, as ultimately it is your responsibility to pay whatever taxes you owe to the right place.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

What if any tax you'll pay to the US will depend on if your country has a tax treaty with the US and what the treaty says about it.  Most likely if you don't pay to the US you will have to pay taxes on it in your country, as the US may be required under the treaty to report the income to your country. You should contact your countries tax authority to find out what tax treaty exists with the US and how it applies to you, as ultimately it is your responsibility to pay whatever taxes you owe to the right place.

Amethyst is so correct. The world is becoming a smaller place. :(

Nancy Deimatov wrote:

thats the thing i'm finding odd

i already pay taxes in my country, so i dont know why should i pay for another country too...

and if i have to pay 30% to the US, it will be better if i dont even cash anything out.

That's why tax treaties exist, so that the countries agree on who taxes what and someone like you ends up not having to pay taxes on the same money twice. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.