export outfit and avatar from SL, import to Blender

MasterAzroth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i want to make some items and clothing for my werewolf, the problem i run into is that every tutorial i find only shows how to export your avatar and not what your is wearing. (I.E. you get strang little "thin man"  but not the werewolf you see when you in sL) because of this it is extreamly agervating to make clothing items that look right, so is there a way to export everything you see (dosent matter if the things you cant see are involved or not) for use in blender? that way i can make everything look right on him because im making them on him.

You can only export items that you created yourself 100 percent.  No part of it may be created by anyone else.  This is to protect the intellectual property rights of creators. 

If your wolf was full perm contact the creator,  For an addtional fee, generally higher than what you paid for your wolf full perm, some will send you the .dae file you can import into blender to use.  But they are not required to do this.

I think your stuck with trial and error.  However maybe you can guesstimate better by using regular prims to measure different places using a flat cylinder, or other appropriate shape, as a sort of tape measure.  Get on a pose stand and put the prim where you need a measurement and size it to match the avatar as close as you can.  Note the xyz size coordinates and use those in blender as a starting point.  You then might only have to tweak it some. 

Also use the beta grid for your trials so you don't have to pay the upload fee until you get it right and are ready to import it into the main grid.

The best way... I'm not sure I know. But, if I had to fit a wolf...

It sounds as if the wolf is a collection of system clothes (i.e., shirt, pants, etc.), and attachments. There is no good way to export attachments that you didn't create. If you created them you don't normally need to export them. So, there is little help for that task.

The usual way to cloth an avatar is make a shirt or pants and remove the avatar mesh under the clothes. That prevents the two from conflicting. In SL we cannot remove parts of the avatar. All we can do is hide them with an Alpha layer. The point here is the industry standard is not to place mesh over attachments. That will be a problem. Going that direction is swimming up stream. Everything is against you.

In the animated avatar world the modeler would make a wolf. Then make a wolf with jacket or pants. In SL we tend not to do that. We tend to make a jacket and hide all the things that are under the jacket. Hopefully you can see the problem with the attachments. If that doesn't make sense, you have a lot to learn. In that case start watching character modeling videos on YouTube and CG Cookie.

But, the direct answer to your question, I would take pictures of my avatar in SL. Get front, back, and side images. I would use those in Blender as visual templates, or whatever modeling program you have, to build the clothes. It won't be exact, but it will get me close enough. Once I have the item roughed in I can upload it to the Preview grid and find out what I need to tweak. From there it is an iterative process until I get what I want.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.