Simple mesh pillow - 13 prims?

hellclad

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

k, just checking :) the other two i dont know about, or at least not by name (unless align is apply scale and rotation. that one i do know, the hard way.)

but it worked!!! by combing drongle's alt merge last routine to get the corner diagonals with arton's reminder to make the lowest from scratch (previous attempts failed till i knew the merge trick), i have a pillow that holds up well from a distance.
i really should stop being stubborn sometimes and ask you guys for advice sooner. :)

It looks pretty clunky at a minimized graphics setting though. Maybe if I make that inner square bit on the lowest LoD larger? Have to think about how to optimise. (The first use for the pillows will be a display associated with a hunt and some hunters lower graphics quality cause of all the sim hopping.) How much do you guys build for minimised graphics? There are so many factors to consider.

Bitsy Buccaneer wrote:

How much do you guys build for minimised graphics? There are so many factors to consider.

I build my stuff with the default RenderVolumeLODFactor of 1.125 in the Viewer. Which is set by default from Low to High+ graphic presets. (At least with the official Linden Viewer. TPVs may have set other values as default.)

Most of the time it's hard to let go on detail with the lowest LOD. Each time I create that lowest LOD, load my model into the importer, I'm kinda shocked about the rather high land impact. So I go back and remove some more triangles, and in many cases there are quite a few which can still be removed without destroying the mesh too much.

Reloading the model in the importer, and guess what, still not the land impact I aimed for. :matte-motes-dont-cry:

So back again and removing even more triangles. And in-world this will be mostly good enough, because it will take up only a few pixels on screen anyway.

However, it certainly depends on the shape. If it will take that much geometry to keep it good looking, that it will end up with 2, or 3 LI instead of 1, even if it's small, I'll keep it at the higher LI.

If someone decides to lower their graphics that much that they will see pretty much only low and lowest LODs for performance reasons, they don't expect to see beauty anyway. So giving them beauty, but hampering their performance with higher polycounts on these lower LODs, isn't what they aim for actually.

As long as the object is still visible in the scene, and can be recognized as what it intends to be, all is good IMO. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what I did wrong, but it was something other than the build concept. It's all sorted now, has great numbers and good lod across the board. Didn't have to compromise for the lowest on minimum graphics either. It looks alright and won't give people a reason to turn their graphics setting up unnecessarily. Thanks again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.