Hi,How do I save my Username and Password on Second life viewer without putting them in each time?

Midhael Weston

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

17 answers to this question

Your login screen should always show the username of the last account that you used it for, and you can save its password by clicking the Save Password box.

If you use the Firestorm viewer, the username field will save the usernames of all accounts that you have logged in with and will present them in a dropdown menu.

• Like 1

If you are using your own computer, not one that you will ever be sharing with another user, you can set a couple of debug settings that might help. Open your Advanced menu (CTRL + D) and then Debug Settings. Type in "AutoLogin" and then set its value to TRUE when you see the option. That will tell your viewer to always log in with the last username/password combination. I am not sure whether it will leave you the option of logging in as an alt, however, or whether it will simply execute login automatically without asking you to click the Login button.

While you are still in Debug Settings, check to see how the setting labelled "RememberPassword" is set. It should say TRUE.

Hi,

I did all that and the setting goes to False all the time. This is the Message I get when I try and Log in on My Second Life viewer: We can't fill in your Username and Password. This may happen when you change network setup. I didn't change anything at all. It worked well yesterday afternoon and then in the evening this is the Problem I got. Please Help to fix it. Thank you. Also When I went into Debug Settings and into Auto Login it keeps going to FALSE,Why? When I go to Remember Password it is set on TRUE.

That's a really good question. I have never seen that happen before. Are you on a college campus or in a corporate setting, perhaps? If so, the IT people may have changed some settings in the network. If that's not the problem, try rebooting your router and modem by unplugging both from the power for a few minutes and then plugging them back in and restarting the computer. I suppose it's possible that one of them has found something to complain about. I am truly guessing at this point, because those debug settings should have done the job. If all else fails, you may have to do a CLEAN reinstall of the viewer >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

Hi,

I think I may have found a bug.I am Running Windows 7 and the Latest version of Secondlife viewer. Last week my computer crashed my tech had to replace my Hard Drive. When I got it back it seem to work fine but Yesterday Evening my Secondlife Viewer Stopped the Auto Login. I get this message, We can't fill in your Username and Password. This may happen when you change network setup.I asked about it on the forum and I tried all the suggests. None of them have worked.While trying the Suggests for debug settings I noticed that my Auto Login keeps flipping back to False. That is where I think there could be a bug. Has anyone else had the same issue.

You are communicating only with me through this Permalink feature. I am not aware of anyone else with the problem. I think that you have found the source, however. I replacing the hard drive, the tech has reset some system parameters. It would be very hard to diagnose from a distance, but that tech should know what he had to do.

Midhael,

This is possibly an issue with some 3rd party security software. Did you install and activate all the features of Norton 360 or Kaspersky Internet Suite after the HD was replaced? Some f these suites try to manage the updates that occur in the "hidden" XML configuration files of Windows 7 User Account area named appdata.

Hi,
I installed Kaspersky Internet Security today but it wasn't working already at this time. Norton Endpoint was installed before but it worked till yesterday evening when something happened and it didn't work anymore. It was working find before that even when Norton was installed. I did uninstall it this Morning and still S/L Auto Login didn't work. There must be a bug with S/L can anyone help me fix this Problem as I tried everything so far. Getting to a point that I will just delete the program and never use it again unless there is someone with the same problem and fixed it or S/L will have a fix for it. Thank you for all your Help.

OK lets start over. ?? Are you using a PC at your work location ?? - Many companies manage the Virtualization Memory of "thier" employee's PCs to return them to thier original performance state each morning. That would explain why you have no saved settings on anything except the approved software for the company. These same companies also track all software installations foound on "thier" PCs as well.

If you are using a home PC then you need to get it back to a as delivered state and not use any "paranoia-based" anti-virus software. This is not any problem with SL - This is a problem with your PC.

Hi,
No I am using a P.C. at home.I had the Anti-vrus software on here before and S/L work with that Antivirus software. I checked and S/L is trusted on it. So it Must be a bug on S/L end since it worked before. I hope they come out with a fix for it. As I said I tried everything so far as was Posted and while trying for debug settings I noticed that my Auto Login keeps flipping back to False. That is where I think there could be a bug. Has anyone else had the same issue. I need some Help Badly to resolve this Problem. Thank you Maybe a Tech from Linden Lab can write a Program to fix this issue or bug.

If you believe you have found a bug, report it in the JIRA >>> https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa In this case, unfortunately, chances are good that Linden Lab will respond that it is a user problem, not a system bug. If it IS a bug, you will find that although some problems can be resolved quickly, most remain for a long time (months or years) unless they seem to affect more than a few users.

OK let's try this please...

and make absolutely sure that all steps in the clean install procedure are being followed. If you have left over "borked" configuration .XML files in the indicated appdata areas you can see this issue.

1) Reinstall SL again using the official version from Linden Lab. [be sure to do a clean install - Instructions are at the link below]

.... http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

Here is the Windows 8 Manual System File cleanup procedure since it's not in the procedure above.

Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

.... 1) Open C:\Users\(PC Login Name)\AppData\Local and delete the contents of the SecondLife folder.
.... 2) Open C:\Users\(PC Login Name)\AppData\Roaming and delete the contents of the SecondLife folder.
.... 3) Uninstall Second Life using the Programs and Features tool in the Windows Control Panel.
.... 4) Download and install the latest release of the Second Life Viewer from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/.

Note: (PC Login Name) is the Windows 8 User Account Login Name

If you can't see the files or folders described above:
.... 1) Using File Explorer navigate to -> Libraries / Computer / ( C: ) / Users /
.... 2) Press the Continue button to get permission to obtain permanent permission edit this directory.
.... 3) From the View drop-down menu option select Options & Change Folder & Search Options
.... 4) Select the View Tab
.... 5) Under the Hidden Files and Folders options click on the - O Show hidden files, folders & Drives radio button
.... 6) Push the Apply Button then the OK button.

2) Login using that Viewer and wait for a complete Login and Inventory rebuild.

3) Afterwards, you may use any viewer you prefer but I recommend a clean install of that viewer as well following their instructions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.