What are appliers?

debbyom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How can I explain a noob about appliers?

Does all clothing designer use appliers for their outfits?

What is the take on appliers according to you, do you use it regularly or often or not at all?

Does appliears come for body parts only?

Thanks for taking the time to reply in advance.

These days, mesh replacement bodyparts are becoming more and more popular. They are designed to correct flaws in the default avatars shape. Like ugly feet, hands that look lumpy and has few crude gestures, butts that look flat when you bend, breasts with strange angles instead of a smooth curve etc...

The mesh parts is sold separatly, skin makers make skin appliers, shoe makers make shoes add-ons, clothing designers makes appliers for their clothes. It adds up in some money totally, but it is much better than the default avatar. By keeping an eye on sales and fairs, you can score a good deal. 

An applier is a hud, that applies the skin texture of whatever skin it is, to the body part it's intended to go on. So, for example, if you have mesh feet, you use the appropriate skin applier hud to match the add-on mesh feet to the rest of your body, rather than attempting to tint manually. The match is exact, as it's literally the same skin texture, just applied to the mesh feet. Manual coloring is just coloring. If you have a skin with highlights and shadows, you get problems because you have to pick a shade and so it will always be inferior to applying the skin texture.

Same goes for clothes, when you wear mesh feet and stockings, you have the stocking as a layer on the leg and a stocking applier for the feet with the stocking texture. A dress has an applier for the breasts, gloves, sweaters etc.

Inspect the vendors close before buying. The text should inform you about what's included, and exactly what you are buying. If it says nothing about appliers, then assume it's not included. In doubt, (If it looks like mesh body parts is used but nothing says so) ask the creator. Some does not include appliers but sell them in a small box or vendor next to the main vendor.

Same goes for the Marketplace. Any legit skin designer offer demos. Beware of good deals on the Marketplace without demos.

I never ever show the default feet. I always wear mesh feet, if not then I wear boots to cover up the awful anckles. I am used to hands as well, because I get gestures, relaxed, bag hold, point... I wear mesh breasts and butt, ears, mouth, heads on occasion.

• 4 months later...

I am putting this here,  because I can't seem to find the right place to put it.

So I purchase and item that comes with these appliers?  Slink feet/ Phat Azz..  whatever.   I right click to add them to my avi, and the hud shows up on the screen.   I click it,   but nothing happens.   I am not clear as to what I am supposed to do with them if nothing happens when I click the box.  (which is directly in the middle of my avi btw)    I downloaded the version I viewer I am using directly from the signup on SL.. and chose a non vampire/ human avi.   I am not sure if she is "classic" or not either.

If my question makes ANY sense.. Please advise.    If not,  can someone please offer a link about this topic.

Thank you kindly!

BettiRaige wrote:

I am putting this here,  because I can't seem to find the right place to put it.

So I purchase and item that comes with these appliers?  Slink feet/ Phat Azz..  whatever.   I right click to add them to my avi, and the hud shows up on the screen.   I click it,   but nothing happens.   I am not clear as to what I am supposed to do with them if nothing happens when I click the box.  (which is directly in the middle of my avi btw)    I downloaded the version I viewer I am using directly from the signup on SL.. and chose a non vampire/ human avi.   I am not sure if she is "classic" or not either.

If my question makes ANY sense.. Please advise.    If not,  can someone please offer a link about this topic.

Thank you kindly!

It's not clear, but from what you've written, it sounds like you aren't wearing the body part the appliers are made for. Slink appliers add textures to Slink feet, Phat Azz appliers add them to Phat Az butts, and so on. So if you don't have those body parts, the appliers will do nothing. You don't need them, but keep them in case you buy add-on body parts later.

If I'm mistaken and you do have the body parts, make sure you are using the right applier. Another possibility is you are in a 'no script' area. Check in the location bar at the top of the screen (between the 'teleport home' icon and the Favorites Bar). The 'no script' icon is like a little scroll with a red, barred circle next to it. If scripts are disabled where you are, your appliers won't run. Look for a location where scripts are allowed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.