Uploading Mesh Hair into SL.

Karla Marama

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay SO!

It's been almost a year of improvising mesh hair. I've had a couple very nice people who went out of their way to help me. But the majority of people I asked (hair designers in sl) never seem to care to help. I know if I had it down and someone asked me, I wouldn't mind helping at all! ( SO, if I ever figure it out and anyone needs help I WILL HELP because I know what it's like. )

I figured out a few things that I was doing wrong. Instead of using high poly Uv spheres for each hair strand, I've now learned how to box model, and use planes instead. (Less polys, easier to weight paint)

I was having trouble with weight painting my hair smoothly moving to the SL bones without being all funky.

I just finished a style made of a cube (Box modeled). I went to upload it into sl and noticed, it's a bit to the left, where as in blender it isn't!

e4836bd9c5ea6781843d11d1692e026d.png  <-- Thisis how it uploads.

eb844ac689f93bd12ccbcbf218992f4a.png

And that is it in blender.

I tried CTRL + A to set the location,rotation, and scaling all to 0, but it didn't seem to help.

Any ideas of what may be causing this?

tysm!

I can only guess that you have some issue with the pivot point of the mesh, or something like that. I'd try creating a box, place it in the center of the head, then attach/merge your hair with that cube, so the it inherits the cube's pivot point. Then detach the cube from the hair and rerig or weight the hair. I'm more of a 3ds Max user than a Blender user, but it should work similarly.

I'd also suggest getting Avastar for Blender. 1 of the main issues that every1 has is finding a working rig. It becomes hard to figure out an issue when you have no idea if it is the rig that is the whole issue. I suggest getting Avastar because I know the rig is correct and works properly. I've done a few fully rigged and animated characters in it, and it's been a dream to use.

• Like 1

I purchased Avastar and, I noticed the difference right away. It's a LOT easier and so far feels well worth the $.

I'm noticing now that rigging is completely different. It basically does everything for you and when you go to export your mesh, you don't have to include the avatar bones, it does it all for you.

Now I have a problem where after Bone Weight copying, and I go to upload my boned mesh into second life, the "Skin Weights" is greyed out.

I've made rigged mesh before, and so I've had that option work for me in the past with the bone weight copying script in Blender 2.5.. but now that I'm upgraded to 2.68 everything is so new and I'm not sure how to get skin weights to pop out as an option.

Any ideas on how this is done? 

(I'm gonna post a forum topic on this as well!)

Thank you so much for your time.

d279d30d57038fea0dcc14d78e1c1040.png

Hi.

Mesh hair seems to have some special peculiarities. So maybe you can provide a demo blend file which does not work as expected ? Then we can take a look into that and see where the process goes wrong, or where the documentation needs improvement. You can mail to gaia.clary@machinimatrix.org

• Like 1

Karla Marama wrote:

Now I have a problem where after Bone Weight copying, and I go to upload my boned mesh into second life, the "Skin Weights" is greyed out.

I've made rigged mesh before, and so I've had that option work for me in the past with the bone weight copying script in Blender 2.5.. but now that I'm upgraded to 2.68 everything is so new and I'm not sure how to get skin weights to pop out as an option.

Any ideas on how this is done? 

(I'm gonna post a forum topic on this as well!)

Thank you so much for your time.

I knew you would love it. What's not to love about it?

As far as your problem, I'd make sure that you are exporting the model correctly. I've accidently selected more than just the model, and gotten the same things as you. So, double check that you are only exporting the model, and not something else with it.

I'm not totally sure what you mean with the with the skin weights. I can only tell you what I just saw when opening my items that I finished a few months ago. I can't easily switch between bones when the mesh is in weight painting mode. I've tried on a few different models I've made and they are all doing the same things. I have to go out of weight paint mode, switch bones and then go back into weight paint mode to see weights on another bone. I only messed with it for a half hour or so, so I can't say why it is happening, but it is seriously annoying. Maybe I'm just forgetting to do something tho.

I'm deep into a completely different Blender project, so I can't really spend the time to figure this out, but I'm sure this won't be a problem for long, if it really is a problem with the software at all. Of course, Gaia knows much more about this software than I ever will.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

I have to go out of weight paint mode, switch bones and then go back into weight paint mode to see weights on another bone. I only messed with it for a half hour or so, so I can't say why it is happening, but it is seriously annoying. Maybe I'm just forgetting to do something tho.

the trick is actually as follows:

• go to object mode
  • select the armature
  • Ensure that it is in Pose mode!
  • select your mesh
  • go to weight paint mode
  • Now you can select the vertex groups by right clilck on the bones

Another method is to open the Object data properties while the mesh is in weight paint mode. Now you can select any vertex group from the Vertex group list. this should show the weights of the selected vgroup and also select the corresponding bone.

the documentation is here:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Meshes/Vertex_Groups/Weight_Paint

(check the chapter "Weight Painting for Bones" near the bottom of the document.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.