After upgrading my Linux, I once again find I can't get in to SL.

KateMcCridhe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3993 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unlike most Linux users, I'm no programmer.
Now, I recall the first time I loaded SL Viewer and Phoenix onto this machine I couldn't run either program... the blasted thing would open up in text rather than as the viewer.
So, this past week, it took all Wednesday for my machine to upgrade to 12.x...
Then it took all Thursday for my machine to upgrade to 13.x.
Both times it said something about disabling 3rd party programs... blah blah blah... but you can re enable them after the upgrade.
Unicorns and rainbows oh so simple la de da...
OI!
The problem with Linux is the seeming lack of concept that a user might not be a programmer, or so intimately familiar with the product as to know where every last bit of data is located.
It took me about a week of scrambling to figure it out the first time I loaded SL on this machine, but for crying out load, I don't remember what I did.  I do know that it was a mutual education for the person that helped me find the solution and myself.
So...

Fellow Linux Users...

(who are not so bloody snobbish as to look down your noses at my lack of understanding because I really don't have the patience or frustration level to put up with such malarcky)

HELP!

the upgrade you spoke of is for your propretary drivers  right and third party. not to put down certain debian spin offs  you will find two ways of keeping your system up. first it took that long time  to upgrade because you may have never configured your repositories and they are set to default and that is sooooooooooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwwww.

second if you build your own graphics driver with dkms ubuntu set up it will see the new kernel and build it for you on every upgrade.  I stick with Slackware it is simple  and  very easy as slackpkg update slackpkg upgrade-all  and your all done.

contact me inworld if youlike or here I will walk you through it ok. there are many systems. so make sure you  have the version of yout linux system ok ty

hang in there

Drakeo wrote:

the upgrade you spoke of is for your propretary drivers  right and third party. not to put down certain debian spin offs  you will find two ways of keeping your system up. first it took that long time  to upgrade because you may have never configured your repositories and they are set to default and that is sooooooooooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwwww.

second if you build your own graphics driver with dkms ubuntu set up it will see the new kernel and build it for you on every upgrade.  I stick with Slackware it is simple  and  very easy as slackpkg update slackpkg upgrade-all  and your all done.

hang in there

How in the world did that^^ help?

You post was as ambiguous as the OP's.

You BOTH said nothing.  However, the OP seems to have so much disdain for technical experts that I am compelled to not call her a 'fellow' Linux user.

The flash on a prim has been broken for over a year now on on the Linux build that's why I patched it and build my own viewer. That sad down load the viewer what ever one you get. unTar  the package and it will create a folder. Open the folder click  secondlife

to install locally  open a terminal type ./install.sh  or sh install.sh  and press enter three time.

To do it system wide assume root or sudo and do the same commands

First complaint was took all day all night to upgrade, this is common problem with the default ubutu repose use kernel org or mtds. or my local campus repo,  the other problem was third party  software that means nonfree. or it would be in the repo for default install. The main problem is getting enough data from the OP and the limited knowledge I am used to this after several thousand answers in Linux questions.

My answer to a new person actually sends them to learn the repo and  look for third party stuff . You must remember that know one reads if they don't have to.

Those answers where to get them to ask me the questions I know will help them keep and up to date machine and fix the third party issue with graphics.

What?

Ditto.

I'm a Linuxer as well but not since long, and I did never, not even once, use the Terminal yet. I hope I can avoid that in the future as well. My knowledge of Linux is super limited but after a little help from friends I was able to get SL running. It would surely be helpful if the OP could tell us which Linux they are using. But from the answers I couldn't make anything neither. OP asked for help on newbie level and got exactly what they wanted to avoid: totally freakish technobabble.

I could tell them how I installed Singularity 64-bit on my Mint 15 Cinnamon 64-bit system. That might be totally different on Slack, Arch, Fedora or any other more expert linux.

Appologies for posting in a somewhat bristly mood... I am not used to being bumfuzzled by a computer for this long, and I probably should have just posted a warning stating that I have no patience for trolls on a superiority trip while I'm in this state of frustration. 

I may be no programmer, but I do work a computer pretty hard.  (Previous experience with Apple, Windows, Oracle and DOS. Twenty year working history with AutoCAD, MicroStation and ArcInfo... plus some spin offs of those programs and a few graphics and publishing programs.  That is to say... I generally hardly notice the differences as long as I can get done what I want done with out too much guess work.)

O.k. I'm interpretting that there were a couple queries about the system -
Ubuntu 13.04
(Aw man!  Where'd my split screen doo-hicky go?  Sheesh!  That's what sold me on Linux in the first place - besides the lower cost.)
Memory: 3.3 GiB

Processor: AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics x4

Graphics: VESA: DVST  (Hmmm... my experience seems to have been switched back to standard :-/)

OS Type: 64 bit
Disk: 488.5 GiB.  (Plus a little over 300 GiB from my old Acer hard drive...)

...Drakeo said:

• -"you may have never configured your repositories" - Good point to figure out what you're talking about.  I suspect that will be handy for more than just system updates.

• -"second if you build your own graphics driver with dkms ubuntu set up it will see the new kernel and build it for you on every upgrade.  I stick with Slackware it is simple  and  very easy as slackpkg update slackpkg upgrade-all  and your all done." - I have to giggle at that one a little bit.  Build my own graphics driver.  Uhm.  Trying hard not to get all smart mouthed, but... for as many drivers as I've loaded on things and had to fuss with, building my own is a concept I've not quite grasped.  Yes... I should be able to.  Uhm.  Technically.  If I know where to look.  I think.  Uhm.  Build my own graphics driver.  Hmmmmmm.  Could be useful. Very useful.  Dkms sounds familiar, like I've seen those initials somewhere in my poking around on this thing (or maybe something else), but I haven't a clue what that is.
  • -"Open the folder click  secondlife to install locally  open a terminal type ./install.sh  or sh install.sh  and press enter three time."  If I click on the secondlife program, it comes up as a text file, not a viewer.  Does it with at least five different viewers.  Just like it did the first time I loaded SL viewers onto this machine.  There was some sort of tweek that the dealer and I figured out (with much mutual learning for both him and me) the first time.  I cannot remember what it was.  It was short sweet and simple.  That's the kicker.

- Storm Clarence
Thankyou for the URL's.  Tried uninstall/reinstall, got the same result when I tried to bring up various SL viewers.  That being the program comes up as a text file rather than the viewer.

For any thing more specific than that... uhm... well... I'll just have to consult someone who knows the lingo better to figure out how to ask the questions.

Opens as a text file well seems your system reads that as a script but opens it with an editor. Open a terminal make sure your in the directory and type yes the dot then a slash ./secondlife  then press enter

after that if the viewer does not start there will be an error read out.  good thing to know is the viewer is developed in a debian Linux. But 90 percent of support is for windows. Don't feel bad you should see the windows problems.

Things to remember when upgrading. 

If the distro you use is upgrading the kernel please remember  many  graphics card do not support 3d acceleration  on a generic  Linux driver. This is why AMD and Nvidia have there proprietary  drivers that must be rebuilt  per kernel upgrade.

the Intel driver varies from the open source driver to there newer proprietary drivers.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Drakeo:
Exactly, script is opened in the editor mode.
After that I feel completely lost. 
Open a terminal... guessing you're talking about ... uh... I think we used to call that something like shelling out, when we wanted to work in DOS (back in Window 3.x days and before). 

I'm not really sure how to do that in Linux. I've done it... with someone else telling me what to do and looking over my shoulder, but in enough of a hurry to be more concerned with what I was trying to accomplish at the moment, than remembering the how to.

"type yes the dot then a slash ./secondlife"
?

Do I type "yes././secondlife" (which looks strange) or "yes./secondlife" or am I completely out in left field?  I can't quite figure out what that's doing, and I can't figure out what I am supposed to see happen if I do it right.

Define:

distro

kernel (I have vague recollections of something about that - but I don't think I knew what it was way back when, either)

Update:
Providing educational experience to the fellows who sold me this computer a while back... I/we managed to get the problem solved.

- Bring up the Terminal (Control + Alt + T)
- Change directories to the proper folder... (cd SecondLife ... cd <Folder_Name> ...  Note... case sensitive)
- The install command is "./secondlife" or ./<name_of_viewer>
- Nice little button appears on the side bar and locks there (you can rearrange it on the sidebar if you want to), and the viewer pops up just like it's supposed to.

KateMcCridhe wrote:

- Bring up the Terminal (Control + Alt + T)

- Change directories to the proper folder... (cd SecondLife ... cd <Folder_Name> ...  Note... case sensitive)

- The install command is "./secondlife" or ./<name_of_viewer>

Solutions like this contribute to the myth that Linux requires the command line to do even the most basic things.

The reason why double-clicking the file opens it in a text editor is because someone (you?) reconfigured the file browser to do that by default.

The file browser has a preferences dialog that you can open by clicking "Edit" and then "Preferences" in the menu. The preferences dialog has a tab called "Behavior" which looks like this:

Screenshot from 2013-10-09 00:50:16.png

See the options in the section "Executable Text Files". In your case, the configured default behavior is "View", and that is exactly what you get.

• 3 weeks later...

ok for you Slackware 14.1 users and some othe very up to date linux users. the viewer may not start, because of this missing. libpangox-1.0.so.0 , . libpangox-1.0.so. Has been depriciated and now has been taken out of the system.

I my self created a symlink  libpangox-1.0.so.0 ------> libpangoxft-1.0.so.0.3000.1 this got the viewer going . That is not a fix.

same problem with all the viewers. there is a very old compatable code build  compat-libpangox-1.0.so.0 that really isnt a fix either but it will get it going. I am going to have to change the old pango prebuilt  libraries and headers.

Or LL going to have to Self path it in the build. we will wait and see.

OI.
Uhm... sure... o.k.

Not sure how that all translates into English, but, o.k.
For those of us who don't have a reliable source of information about Linux that can translate to folks who've used Windows and Apple (with out dripping snobbery all about the keyboard... ew gross), could you perhaps suggest a bit of reading  material (written in English, please) that will show where that settings thing is and functional stuff like that there.

Meanwhile, with 4.5x coming in, I'll just go back to using what worked before to install again...

Thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3993 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.