Land owner evicted me with time left on the clock!

Airika Waddington

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

About two months I began renting a plot of mainland. The other day I decided that I was no longer going to rent it so I clicked the "not renew" option on the rental box. When I logged on the next day the owner had IM'd me asking me why. I told him the truth. Later he removed me from the land use group and returned all my stuff. I still had two weeks of rental left. I only have proof of 10 days because for some reason my transaction history on sl.com won't go back far enough to show the first transaction. The owner outright refuses to refund me for my remaining time. He stated that because I never used the land why does it matter? Basically the remaining rent comes to a L$1,000 value that I believe I am owed since he no longer will allow me to use the land.

How do I handle this? Clearly I am owed a service that he is denying me because he is mad that I will no longer be a customer. Do I call LL? Please advise me as to what I can do! 

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

About two months I began renting a plot of mainland. The other day I decided that I was no longer going to rent it so I clicked the "not renew" option on the rental box. When I logged on the next day the owner had IM'd me asking me why. I told him the truth. Later he removed me from the land use group and returned all my stuff. I still had two weeks of rental left. I only have proof of 10 days because for some reason my transaction history on sl.com won't go back far enough to show the first transaction. The owner outright refuses to refund me for my remaining time. He stated that because I never used the land why does it matter? Basically the remaining rent comes to a L$1,000 value that I believe I am owed since he no longer will allow me to use the land.

How do I handle this? Clearly I am owed a service that he is denying me because he is mad that I will no longer be a customer. Do I call LL? Please advise me as to what I can do! 

Airika,

I'm so sorry you experienced an insensitive landlord.

First of all, clearly this person only saw the message about you not renewing. So many of these people have absolutely zero accounting skills and then made the assumption that you were at the end of your lease period. Thus the eviction.

Since this is a Resident Dispute, Linden Lab will not become involved.

Take this as a lesson learned and if you lease again using a Lease Payment Box never indicate your intent to leave using the box until your last day.

You can certainly craft a detailed notecard with copies your payment history clearly shown and sent it to this person however I wouldn't expect them to do the right thing.

• Like 2

Although LL won't get involved in inter-resident disputes they WILL act when someone breaks the forum rules by naming names here. You are therefore asking the OP to get into more trouble, apart from losing money.

{If you go to NCI (Kuula sim) or Caledon Oxbridge (sim of the same name) their helpers and other people will be able to suggest ways of finding reputable and reliable landlords).

As mentioned, LL will not become involved in inter-resident disputes.  If this issue is important enough you need to contact your RL lawyer/police and obtain a court order to get the landlord's RL details and then take them to RL court.  All this will take time and money, of course.  If this isn't important enough then the only thing you can do is shrug it off as "one of those things" in SL (and make sure you tell everyone you meet who is thinking of using the same landlord).

Do not name names here or share conversation logs without permission - both of these could get you in trouble with LL (yeah, I know - punish the victim - but it's their platform and their rules).

Unfortunately, you are out of luck as far as getting your unused rent back.  Land owners can eject anyone...tenants, strangers, anyone...for any reason, or even for no reason at all.  The basic dictum of Second Life is, "He who owns the land, makes the rules".

About the only thing you can do to protect yourself from a bad landlord is to research a potential landlord BEFORE renting from them.  Google their name and look for posts by unhappy customers.  Ask their other tenants how they are treated.  Find out how long they have been in business.  Any landlord who owns more than two or three regions and has been in business for more than a couple of years is probably careful of their reputation, because they want to STAY in business, and they know that bad word of mouth can put them out of business quickly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.