How do you ask someone out?

tidyty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

hehe. honey. first you need to decide if you want to go out with them. Then one of you decide a sim or many sims, or place on a sim to do so. And you both go hang out, for a while. And yes, there are things you can buy, or get for free. They will allow you to simulate romantic animations with them. Such as chairs at a romantic table, that will mimic you are having a good time, or other things. It will be the same as when you met them likely, chatting, getting to know one another. Things like that.

tidyty wrote:

I just got asked out... flattered but how do you do it? Where's the menu for it etc.

Welcome to SL, Tidyty.

Wouldn't you know it, I have this same problem in real life (RL)!!!

Fortunately, or unfortunately, asking someone out, or figuring out what to do if you get asked out, works pretty much the same way here. You go through some awkward chat, during which you try to figure out if the other person is an axe murderer or the future love of your life. You can only be murdered on damage enabled sims in SL, so maybe that's less of an issue, but you really should be careful nonetheless. Romantic encounters here can have the same emotional impact as they do in RL.

As others have mentioned, SL is filled with objects that can help set the mood when you go out with someone. You'll find clubs playing every genre of music, many with singles and couples dances of various kinds, ranging from funny to romantic (Not that romance can't be funny, it sure is when I try it.) If you don't want to dance, you'll often find tables and chairs around the perhiphery where you can sit as a couple and watch the crowd (which means both watching the avatars and watching the local chat).

There are also countless sims to explore. I've found that exploring places with people is a wonderful way to learn about both SL and people. Again, it's just like RL, you hang with people you find interesting (or people who find you interesting, which feels nice ;-) and if things click, you spend more time with them, sharing your SL experiences.

As you've expressed some curiosity about asking someone out, I do recommend that you, if you haven't already, be courageous about chatting. It can be daunting to teleport to a busy club there the local chat is going a mile a minute, but it's worth saying hello and striking up conversations with the locals. If the group isn't welcoming, find another. Be patient, as in the real world, persistance pays off.

I envy the newness of your SL experience, as will many that you meet. This can be a wondrous place, and it's filled with interesting people. Have fun, be careful (but not too careful ;-) take your time and report back.

We love to hear good stories!!!

Good luck,

Maddy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.