Inventory Missing AGAIN after SL "improvements"

Aryon Dagger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To say the very least, I am heartbroken ... I purchased almost every build from 2 VERY good builders over the years (2007-2013) I have been in SL and EVERY single one is missing now. Not only that, but when sorted by name, the second half of the alphabet stuff is missing too. While I appreciate the Linden's need to grow and improve ... why not leave weel enough alone. Every time they "improve" something, the barrel effect means a dozen or more other things go wrong. I really am tired of losing inventory that creators won't replace due to LL's "improvements. Maybe they should back up before they improve or replace our losses. I've followed instructions for cache/inventory loss to no avail. Any other suggestions?

Aryon Dagger wrote:

To say the very least, I am heartbroken ... I purchased almost every build from 2 VERY good builders over the years (2007-2013) I have been in SL and EVERY single one is missing now. Not only that, but when sorted by name, the second half of the alphabet stuff is missing too. While I appreciate the Linden's need to grow and improve ... why not leave weel enough alone. Every time they "improve" something, the barrel effect means a dozen or more other things go wrong. I really am tired of losing inventory that creators won't replace due to LL's "improvements. Maybe they should back up before they improve or replace our losses.
I've followed instructions for cache/inventory loss to no avail.
Any other suggestions?

Followed WHICH instructions (my bolding above)?

Just trying to be clear here.  Different people can mean different things.

The three instruction sets I know of are the FS Wiki:

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_missing_inventory

And on Nalate's Blog.

http://blog.nalates.net/2010/08/01/second-life-lost-inventory-and-missing-inventory/

And something in the SL Wiki I don't have the link for.

I am using the SL Viewer and while you thankfully have been lucky in not losing any inventory, this is not the first time this sort of thing has occured for me.

I used the SL Wiki to find the "solution suggestions" regarding this issue and it did not help.

Aryon Dagger wrote:

I am using the SL Viewer and while you thankfully have been lucky in not losing any inventory, this is not the first time this sort of thing has occured for me.

I used the SL Wiki to find the "solution suggestions" regarding this issue and it did not help.

I do know these two pages in the SL Wiki's.  If there is more I am unaware of them.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Inventory_loss

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Advanced-inventory-management/ta-p/1376385

They are anything but thorough.

The information on Firestorm's Wiki and Nalate's Blog goes a lot deeper and comes from helping people with the problem.  I know it's a PIA to deal with and I'm not attempting to excuse LL here.  Just trying to help you retrieve your inventory.  Hopefully something there will help you.

For a problem to occur after an "upgrade" may or may not be coincidental.   I do hope it's not widespread.

I beleive you. . Never said I didnt/ I have had half my inventory missing several times and each time i had recovered all items by fixing my cache. either by deleting the cache folder or a clean install. I was only sharing my experience with inventory and sorry to hear you are having issues. I really hope you get it fixed. Im sure your inventory is still there. You just need to coax the viewer. But it is hardly due to the improvments.. Today is rolling restarts and as they always say. dont  try to mess with inventory or builds on these days during the rollout because it can cause havoc :)

Good luck to ya

It seems that SSA can stop inventory from loading.

I suggest this process;

1 Go to a LL Water Region ( search Map for Blake Sea )  and TP to a vacant one.

2 Do a Character Test.

3 Relog to Last Location.

4 Click Recent Tab in Inventory. ( Starts the loading process )

5 Dont do anything else just watch inventory number increase. If it stops loading Relog and continue until all is loaded.

6 Wear an Outfit.

7 Relog

If this fails also see this page  >  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Inventory_loss

XLR8RRICK Hudson wrote:

It seems that SSA can stop inventory from loading.

How?

Inventory is handled by the asset Servers.

Avatar Appearance by a separate set of Servers.

Inventory failing to load has been around for as long as I've been in SL.

• 7 months later...

Well, this just happened again. Frankly, I can't see this as anytiing but a typical glitch from SL. They said last time I was losing packets, but I bought a new better modem and router and have since upgraded my laptop. Both times it happened after I cut items and pasted them to a new location in my inventory, something I do all the time when cleaning and organizing. At least all these were from the same vendor so, hopefully, she has some redelivery options!

LadyWriter wrote:

Well, this just happened again. Frankly, I can't see this as anytiing but a typical glitch from SL. They said last time I was losing packets, but I bought a new better modem and router and have since upgraded my laptop. Both times it happened after I cut items and pasted them to a new location in my inventory, something I do all the time when cleaning and organizing. At least all these were from the same vendor so, hopefully, she has some redelivery options!

I'm not sure why you are doing the copy/paste rather than dragging into the new folder? 

Or are you doing "paste as link?"  If you delete the original after that yes it will be lost.  (I know you may know this but I'm just trying to not assume)

Data travels through many jumps on it's way to you so packets can be lost before they even reach your modem.  What are your results from http://www.pingtest.net/ to Dallas or San Fransisco?  You may need to give permision for Java to run for this site in order to do this test.  Many browsers turn off Java by default.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.