Automatic rigging program for second life

Tiola Violet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all,

As many of the creators on second life I am converting to mesh and having all the problems that go with it and for me especially when it comes to rigging.

I found this really grate easy to use online rigging program : http://www.mixamo.com/c/auto-rigger

For now it is not compatible with second life avatars because that needs a specific skeleton. But I'm thinking if enough people show interest maybe they will do something for us :)

Here is the post, please leave a comment and let them know that we really need this tool 

http://community.mixamo.com/mixamo/topics/second_life_rigging_compatibility?rfm=1

Thanks to all and I will keep you updated

Hey, i heard if this before, but had no time to take a closer look. However now i did. It looks at least interesting. When looking from the "Blender side" i am interested to see if the Collada exports from Mixamo can be imported to Blender without issues. And i am willing to fix issues in Blender if there are any.

From the SL side I am sure something could be set up in Blender to convert a Mixamo character to a Second Life character...

So do you have any collada examples coming from Mixamo ?

But it doens't work for something such as just a shirt because it needs markers over the groin and knees so it's going to be very limited anyway.  A full character yes but not individual clothing items.

Did you look at the price to download your rigged model?  Unless I did something wrong, $90 didn't seem to be a price I would want to pay and $1499 for access for a year?  Fine if it helps your workflow but it's not going to suit someone "new to mesh" I wouldn't have thought.

I just had another go, seems you can download the fbx of a character only for free but that still won't do clothes on their own.  I suppose that a clothing item could be uploaded along with the character mesh and then rigged, download and then separate back out again?  I might have a play for the sake of curiosity.

Characters for games don't have skin under their clothing so this would rig but not really weight clothing for an SL avatar.  I'm a beginner but It seems to me that using Avastar with Blender the rigging is the really easy part, it's the weighting - how the clothes moves with the avatar - that is most important and a bit more complicated.  I don't see how this auto program could really help with that.

• 2 months later...

I voted and commented on it. Seriously though this is the big time plot stopper for a lot of avatar makers in SL. As I stated in my comment, I can spend 8 hours in front of blender tearing every strand of hair from my head and come up with absolutely nothing but a foul temper and 3 empty cans of mountain dew... First of all I barely know how to use blender. I had to download sculptris to make my meshes, then port them into blender to rig them. So far I got lots of meshes and none rigged... It ticks me off that it has to be so difficult... As much as I love how pretty things can be these days, I miss the days when avatar creation was prim based and didn't require 3rd party tools. I'm running linux right now so anything that requires unity web player wont work, but it looks like that auto-rigger site is for unity 3d. All I can say is if this can be done for unity, it CAN be done for SL. My question is; why hasn't anyone done it? Theres tons of us who would pay good money for it. Yet nobody catered to it. Heck even if it's a program I buy off the marketplace like avpainter or one of those other awesome tools. I'd buy it!

• Like 1

Wolfee Yaffle wrote:

First of all I barely know how to use blender. I had to download sculptris to make my meshes, then port them into blender to rig them. So far I got lots of meshes and none rigged... It ticks me off that it has to be so difficult...

If you've made the item in Sculptris and haven't retoplogised then you don't want to bring it in to SL as it stands, it will very likely have far too much geometry and be all tris.  That's not going to work well.

Yeah thats true. The meshes I have imported so far have had to be reduced in verts quite a lot. The biggest issue I have with Sculptris though is the method they use for texturing faces. I'm sure you know what I mean. Especially when used in SL and your just rendering a mesh and see all the cracks in the texture.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.