do Unscheduled Inventory Database Maintenance make regions to start rolling restarts?

Fabz Bing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As the Grid Status Report  page warns,

We are undergoing unscheduled inventory database maintenance. During this time, some residents will be logged off and will be temporarily unable to log in for a brief period. This maintenance may disrupt transactions, log ins and inventory functions in world. Please check back here for updates.

It shouldn't involve Region Restarts, I don't think.   There's not really "a safe place" to be, in the sense of avoiding the disruptive effects, other than "somewhere other than SL".    If it's going to affect you, it's going to.  If not, not.

When the Grid Status page says database maintenance, they really are not telling us a whole lot. SL runs on several databases. I find it unlikely that they are all undergoing maintenance at the same time, but they might be.

Depending on what you are doing and which database is under maintenance, you may or may not notice a problem.

The databases are multi-threaded. Meaning they are doing several things at the same time. Remember. There are 50+k users at any time accessing these databases. So, it is unclear whether the mainenance is taking a database down or just slowing it. I suspect mostly maintenance just slows things down.

About all this alert tells you is that there may be a greater probablility of problems during that period.

You may have trouble using inventory, things my be slow to rez, you may not be able to save edited scripts, you may not be able to rez objects in a region, etc., etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.