I have upgraded and my performance is terrible

Lyra Ordinary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi All,

I don't really understand the changes going on but I do know that I needed to upgrade my viewer, so I did.

I was previously working on Firestorm viewer 3.something with no problems.

I was advised to upgrade to viewer 4.4 which I did. I have crashed more than ever since I upgraded. I rarely crashed before.

I used to run on ultra graphics settings with smooth movement and no lag but now I struggle on mid quality settings with nothing enabled.

My specs are as follows:

Windows XP with the service pack thing

My graphics card is a NVIDIA 9800GT and I have a 750 watt Power supply.

Why has this change caused such a difference?

I tried Singularity but if anything it was worse and no improvement with the official viewer either.

My broadband connection speed is excellent.

i know my system is capable of running SL. Can anyone help please?

Thank you

1 answer to this question

Hi, Lyra --

FWIW, I have almost the same setup you do (XP with a NVidia GeForce 9800GT card) and I'm having no trouble at all with Firestorm 4.4.2.  In fact, it's running smoother and with a better FPS than previous versions.  So, not to make you feel bad, but at least the problem is not your OS or graphics card, and it's not the Firestorm viewer itself. 

You said you have been crashing but you didn't mention any messages.  If you haven't been getting messages, then you aren't crashing at all.  You're disconnecting, which generally says something about your Internet connection. The fact that Singularity and the V3 viewer aren't any better suggests to me that it is a connection problem, in fact.  When was the last time you rebooted your router?  Have you recently moved cables around, maybe putting a data cable on top of a power cord?  Has the cat been chewing on things?  There's a lot more to an excellent connection than excellent broadband speed, so anything that causes data loss or makes the connection unstable will give you problems in SL.

If you have been getting messages, it would be good to know what they say or at least when sort of conditions usually cause you to crash (teleporting?  uploading textures? ).  If you want to provide extra information or need to clarify your question, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.