Granting Friends Permissions In-World - Survey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Granting Friends Permissions - Survey

We've been getting a few SL Answers queries from users who are missing the Permissions option on their In-World Viewer. We've been offering the workaround of granting these permissions via the MySecondLife.com Friends web page.

Question: How many of you are seeing this option as non-functional in your in-world viewer?

[SL Viewer Instructions]

1) Crtl-Shift-F to pop up the Friends Dialog 2) Scroll thru the Online or All list and select his name 3) Right-Mouse click on his name and display his Profile 4) On the right side of dialog screen select the gear and choose Permissions 5) Check the Permissions you want him to have. 6) After reading the warning, press the Save button.

Please post your results and comments in this post along with the version of the Viewer you are using and what PC platform you are using.

Thank you.

P.S. This option works for me on Windows Vista 64bit & Windows 7 Pro & 8 Pro 64bit using the Viewers - RC Version - Second Life 3.6.2 (278615) Jul 15 2013 Release) & General Released Version - Second Life 3.6.1 (278007) Jun 27 2013 Release

Testing Update: I tested this on a larger cross-section of my Friends List and the Permissions Option is missing on newer friends [These are usually my newer tenants] - This test was done on my Vista 64bit PC using both Second Life 3.6.2 (278615) Jul 15 2013 Release) & General Released Version - Second Life 3.6.1 (278007) Jun 27 2013 Release

I checked 4 newer friends in particular that I have had for less than 6 weeks and this option is missing for them all. Their SL age ranges from 4 years in-world to 6 weeks in-world.

The friends I've had for years all showed the Permissions option like normal.

Even more disturbing is these 4 newer friends do NOT show up on MySecondlife.com page. Therefore I have no way to grant them edit permissions or even change their other permissions should I want to.

I'll try to narrow down the avatar "When We Became Friends" factor when I have more time to determine the cut-off period.

Testing Update 2: Using search I picked a bunch of random strangers Profiles and as expected, the Permissions option was not available. This was consistent with profiles of people from 6 years to 2 weeks old.

So is the little switch that denotes someone as a friend NOT being updated somewhere? Does it need to be updated in inutile places? Inquiring minds need to know. All of us need this fixed!

My understanding is that doing this via the In-World profile (Notes tab) does not immediately apply the change in permissions (I believe it updates on log out, but I have not tested).

The in-viewer method I recommend is open Friends List (Ctrl+Shift+F) and hover over the name in the list. The permission states on the right are clickable, and can be toggled on and off from here with immediate and consistant effect. IMO this is also simpler to understand.

Tested on Catznip, Exodus, Niran's Viewers on Windows 7.

--||-

it works for me in firestorm (latest update).

but doesnt work for me with the SL viewer (latest update)... 

im on Window 7 64 bit

The only way to do it with the sl viewer is to browse to the mysecondlife.com website, where there is a known bug that affect the friendlist, so it s not possible to grant perms to persons recently added and what is still more easy to reach from my external browser... The viewer itself should be able to do it from the friendlist (correct one) inworld.

and yes, i just retried it now... following every steps said by Karen..,  this drive me in the mysecondlife.com profile pages and this friendlist is not updated because of the known bug still not fixed.

so its not what i call a feature from the viewer (where the friendlist is correct) but only the ability of the viewer to browse websites.. i guess what ppl are asking in the answer section its a way to grant perms to their updated friendlist IN their viewer itself, without having to do from the non updated website where a lot of new added friends do not appear as friend. 

So still, it remains, LL devs choosed to delete this feature from the viewer itself while they are not able to keep the website safe from bugs. 

Well still not a pb for me since i dont use this viewer.

ETA : if i try to grant permission with ppl added recently, it says to me, im not friend and so i dont have this option.. while they are in my friendlist inworld.. i may try to resend friendship request till the infitinite.. and this one accepted again and again.. it wont never work... a simple box to check in the inworld friendlist , like it is in all the other viewers and like it was in the past, would solve the problem... and this is what are asking those ppl...no less, no more...

Thread Ping & Update.

Testing Update: I tested this on a larger cross-section of my Friends List and the Permissions Option is missing on newer friends [These are usually my newer tenants] - This test was done on my Vista 64bit PC using both Second Life 3.6.2 (278615) Jul 15 2013 Release) & General Released Version - Second Life 3.6.1 (278007) Jun 27 2013 Release

I checked 4 newer friends in particular that I have had for less than 6 weeks and this option is missing for them all. Their SL age ranges from 4 years in-world to 6 weeks in-world.

The friends I've had for years all showed the Permissions option like normal.

Even more disturbing is these 4 newer friends do NOT show up on MySecondlife.com page. Therefore I have no way to grant them edit permissions or even change their other permissions should I want to.

I'll try to narrow down the avatar "When We Became Friends" factor when I have more time to determine the cut-off period.

Testing Update 2: Using search I picked a bunch of random strangers Profiles and as expected, the Permissions option was not available. This was consistent with profiles of people from 6 years to 2 weeks old.

So is the little switch that denotes someone as a friend NOT being updated somewhere? Does it need to be updated in inutile places? Inquiring minds need to know. All of us need this fixed!

that confirm what you suspected, the problem is linked to the bug affecting currently the mysecondlife.com dashboard..

However this shouldnt be, if the viewer would still have the feature in itself and not ask ppl to grant perms from the websites.

Firestorm viewer (among other ones) has still this feature built in the viewer itself and then there is no problem to grant perms to ppl no matter they are recent friends and no matter they appear or not in the mysecondlife dashboard friendlist. 

So deleting this feature from the sl viewer makes this one vulnerable according to the mysecondlife has bugs or is down, while there shouldnt have any problem affecting the grid itself..

Trinity,

It looks like this issue is definitely a SL Viewer to asset database issue [the data path that allows new friendships to have in-world permissions associated with them is not valid or is not being read correctly - I think this is called a "Join" in SQL parlance ] and of course the MySecondLife.com issue about even displaying new friends.

Since the Firestorm Viewer is managing to display and more importantly update the Permissions for friends correctly, I would venture a guess that the Database Schema being used by the current SL Viewer is out of sync with reality.

If this is being done by design then access to the Database Schema being offered to the 3rd party viewer developers by way of functions seems to be out of sync at this time.

[I'm getting a headache trying to think this thru] This will teach me to think about database design again after years away from being in a few corporate JAD [Joint Application Development] teams. Yeah, I used to be a department area expert :P

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Trinity,

It looks like this issue is definitely a
SL Viewer to asset database issue
[the data path that allows new friendships to have in-world permissions associated with them is not valid or is not being read correctly - I think this is called a "Join" in SQL parlance ] and of course the MySecondLife.com issue about even displaying new friends.

Since the Firestorm Viewer is managing to display and more importantly
update
 the Permissions for friends correctly, I would venture a guess that the Database Schema being used by the current SL Viewer is out of sync with reality.

If this is being done by design then access to the Database Schema being offered to the 3rd party viewer developers by way of functions seems to be out of sync at this time.

[
I'm getting a headache trying to thing this thru
]

i may not be correctly understanding your post, (language issue) so forgive me in advance. 

but id say no.. id say the problem is in the mysecondlife itself, since we know for sure there is a known bug about that there. Thus, the SL viewer not having the grant perms feature built in itself, there is no way to bypass the bug from the viewer since it forcelly drive you to the website for doing this kind of things and has not this feature in it.

i cant grant perms from the website either for the recent friends that mysecondlife doesnt want to add to me... while i still can do it from firestorm because it has the feature built in itself.. so my viewer do it from my friendlist inworld and not the one registered in the website.

there is no asset database about that in the sl viewer since, again, there s not feature allowing to grant perms in the viewer itself.. all what doest the viewer when you do such thing is take you to the website via the internal browser.. when you are doing that even if you see it from your viewer, you are not on the viewer asset data base but on the website data base.

(Sorry in advance if i misunderstood what you are saying in your post)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.