Sliding feet - Please help.

Alaster012

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I'm creating an animation in pose 7.

My character is supposed to stand there and bend at the waist and hold that pose for about 5 seconds.

But for some odd reason her feet keeps sliding a little.  I don't move or reposition her feet at all.

I keep the first frame at the default position.

When I export as an .avi file to test it, it looks perfect.  But when I export it into a .bvh and upload it to SL she slides a little.

Any suggestions or advice?  

Thank you,

-Alaster

Possibly it might be the SL animations creeping into your own animation - SL has the ability to "blend" animations (eg, handbag carrying poses while the AV walks in an independent animation). Generally, if an animation only affects specific parts of the body, other animations are able to play and blend in. This can be useful, but also a pain if not wanted.

IF this is what is affecting your animation, I suggest you try tweaking every body part (just a tiny bit - you just need to barely spin the pose dials on non-moving body parts ( I assume you meant you are using Poser 7?)). Anyways, by doing these initial tiny tweaks, you are effectively telling SL that you are animating the entire AV body - so the default SL anims shouldn't creep in. As such, your animation should play as you intend within SL.

:matte-motes-smile:

If Maeve's suggestion doesn't fix it, my best guess is you move the hip joint (pelvis) in your animation. Unlike a standard avatar in a modeling program, the SL avatar is only pinned at the pelvis. What does this mean? Well, if you move the hip forward in an animation, the entire avatar will move a bit in SL, sliding feet and everything.

The only solution I found, if you really need to move the pelvis, is moving the feet in the opposite direction when animating (hands too). Take in mind this isn't perfect either, since not all avatar legs are equally long. So if the legs of a very short avatar stay in place, legs of long avatars will slide and vice versa.

I hope that makes sense :)

• 2 months later...

This is a complex answer, but you can save pose files in different frames. I suggest in your poser library, if you use the pose dots you will run out of poses qickly. Verying between 5 to 10 frames apart (those numbers will most likely vary).

The purpose of this is you loose all the slipping pose files that keep you from having to change each one. This is so you can lock down a one position in relation to the next.

The biggest thing you have to study carfully is when a person jumps and spins. making sure you catch the pose at the top of the jump, distance, any spins, and the direction, from beginning to when they land.

This way you get rid of all the inbetween frames. I do this with BVH files that don't match up in areas very well, ones that move all over the place, but look good other than that. The best way is to lable these files by frame number. That way you you will have the correct timinging to your movie. Another advantage of this is you can slow down or speed up parts or the whole animation very easly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.