Are people allowed to ban child avatars from Adult sims without reason?

Olive Dorben

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm a child avatar in Second Life and I have come accross many sim owners and sim managers who feel that child avatars are: 

1. Not allowed on Adult sims (which is false).

2. Do not want child avatars on their land just because they do not like them. 

Are sim owners, particularly in Adult sims allowed to ban for such a reason? This of course assumes that like always, the child avatar is not in any sexual situation and is abiding my TOS. I have even been told or banned from Mature sims without breaking TOS, even in sims where there is no adult content.  I sometimes get harassed and then told to leave because I am a child avatar. Are they really allowed to just ban or eject me just because I am a child avatar? 

I don't understand because to me it just seems like avatar descrimination. People do not ban furries just because they are furries or ban vampires just because they are vampires. 

11 answers to this question

Sim owners can ban anyone they feel like banning, it's not a matter of being allowed to do so.  They don't need a reason, it's their land, they pay the tier on it.  It's like owning a home in RL ... you can lock the doors or invite people in as you wish. As for not allowing child avatars at adult sims, that is a case of exercising caution because some people will AR owners of adult sims if they see child avatars on the assumption that age play is going on.

• Like 2

Any sim owner can ban any person they want. Thats their right because they pay the land. Their land their rules. And I wonder what exactly a child avatar would want on an adult sim....

- Some avatars get banned because they don't fit the setting (This ranges from a robot visiting a medival rp sim to a guy in shorts at a ballroom with formal desscode).

- Some avatars aren't welcome for specific reasons (Example: a male avatar visits a club just for women).

- Vampires get banned, if the owner wants to prevent bloodline trouble. Furries get banned for various reasons....newbies get banned....But at the same time many other places allow all of them.

And child avatars...well a lot people find it disturbing and strange to hang out at a place where the could run around naked, but are surounded by an avatar that represents a child. In my opinion adult sims aren't a place for childavatars.

• Like 1

Yes, sim owners and their staff are allowed to eject and ban people for any reason.   Many adult sims have rules against child avatars, since certainly their presence in at least parts of the sims would be against community standards and put the child avatar's account at rise.  

• Like 2

Well like in real life, kids aren't usually allowed in adult stores or clubs.  Other  customers would frown & complain if a child walked in,  and the owner  would get in trouble with  authorities.  Adult  places   aren't made for children  activities.  If you wish to ge into an adult sim then you better get an  adult  avi.  

As for  furries  and vampires not getting  banned or  kicked out of sims.   Yes they do in some.   They  have it  stated that it  is  humans only and  no vampire biting.  Just like humans are  banned or kicked out in some furry lands, or said enter at your own risk in vampire sims. 

This is my perspective as an adult sandbox owner:

I had a child avatar show up on my sandbox naked.  The avatar's display name was "Little P*&&@".  I immediately took notice.  Next they invited another child avatar (or brought an alt).  This child avatar was also naked and was wearing a female genitalia object.  What would your first impression be?  As an owner of an adult sandbox, I see naked avatars on a regular basis.  This time I felt it crossed the line, so I banned and ejected... but not without getting an earful from the avatar about how I was intolerant.  Any reasonable person would surmise these child avatars were not wholesome in the least.

I own the land, I can choose who I will allow on it.  That's what the ban list is for.  I also echo what the above reply says, why are they in an adult area anyway?

Thanks (?) for resurrecting this (in LL terms) ancient thread. To some of your points:

"Adult sims in my eyes should all be 18 and up avy and rl age."

Restricting entry to PRIVATE sims or parcels (whether designated Adult or not) to only those avatars PERCEIVED to be "18 and up" (often subjective at best; not everybody declares their avatar's "age") is at the discretion of the private sim or parcel owner.

LL policy is that child avatars are allowed on PUBLIC Adult parcels (even on Zindra) and that is not likely to change.

"I am so sick of child and teen avys in adult places they were made for us to get away from teen and child avys so we can be naked, do adult things."

Were they? There are private sims/parcels designated Adult by their owners that contain little or no "adult content" because not every adult in SL is interested in "be[ing] naked" and "do[ing] adult things." And a private sim/parcel being designated Adult is no guarantee that you will not encounter child/teen avatars.

"I honestly believe that they should turn up the ages for sl to 16 and up"

Why stop there? Why not 18 (the age of majority in most jurisdictions) and up? Hell, why not 21 and up?

"and make sure no child avatars or teen avatars are allowed on adult sims."

Again, LL decided quite some time ago that child avatars are allowed on Adult parcels.

"I believe that this child vs adult thing is honestly getting out of control."

It's a shame you weren't around when the teen grid was merged. Your squawking would have been welcomed by so many.

"But what I fail to understand is why isnt Lidnen labs doing anything about these children trying to force themselfs on adult sims. The only sims they should be on is E and M rated sims."

See above.

Don't get me wrong. I don't particularly like child/teen avies and find most of them pretty damn creepy. I also refuse to play along with their role play (e.g. I won't censor my speech like I do when I'm around children IRL, so they'll likely hear more than a few "bad words" if I'm forced to interact with them for more than, say, ten minutes). But I also think the current system works just fine.

• Like 1

"So putting out buoys that all avatars are alloed to use, and then shaking your finger at a child avatar, simply for wanting to fish, seems a bit asinine and callous on the part of the buoy owner."

You can walk into a bar IRL and drink soda, eat popcorn, and play video games. Is that "asinine" and "callous" on the part of the bar owner?

You can walk into a sex shop IRL and buy candy. Is that "asinine" and "callous" on the part of the shop owner?

"Are you going to si there and tell me that you kno for a fact your parents NEVER had sex with you at home as a child? Not once? Not EVER EVER EVER?"

Yeah. No. They probably didn't. (They had date nights most Thurdays as far back as I can remember. And if they did, us kids sure didn't know about it.)

Yes I think its totally fair to be able to kick and ban child and teen avys from a adult sim. My question is why are child avys causing so much up drama over this matter. Why do they wanna go on adult sims other then to cause problems. Adult sims in my eyes should all be 18 and up avy and rl age. Plus where do you get off demanding that people who pay 100s of dollars for there parcel should just let you there just cause you wanna be? I am very serious here I am so sick of child and teen avys in adult places they were made for us to get away from teen and child avys so we can be naked, do adult things. 

I honestly believe that they should turn up the ages for sl to 16 and up and make sure no child avatars or teen avatars are allowed on adult sims. I believe that this child vs adult thing is honestly getting out of control. But what I fail to understand is why isnt Lidnen labs doing anything about these children trying to force themselfs on adult sims. The only sims they should be on is E and M rated sims. It sucks to wait to be 18 but you know what everyone has to do it in rl so why should Secondlife be any diffrent. This system was made for people to be themselfs yes but its mostly ran by adults. 

So yeah I think everyone has a right to ban them for no single reason under the sun! you want to say who can come to a sim or not buy one yourself. 

As a child avatar, I am honestly conflicted on this. While I totally agree that children have no place on an adult sim where sex acts occur, I also believe that adult sims should not have items that lure children in. Such as fishing buoy's. Many children in SL do not have "parent's" to spoil them, nor can they work in clubs to get what they want. And not everyone wants to buy L$ with RL money. So putting out buoys that all avatars are alloed to use, and then shaking your finger at a child avatar, simply for wanting to fish, seems a bit asinine and callous on the part of the buoy owner. 

And for those of you about to yell, "Oh! But there could be sex going on!" Yeah? So what? Are you going to si there and tell me that you kno for a fact your parents NEVER had sex with you at home as a child? Not once? Not EVER EVER EVER? If so, I call bullsticks. 

If it's a BDSM or obvious sex sim, then yes, keep us out. If not, then simply make sure we know where we can and cannot go and then if we are not compliant, ban us. 

Working with your fellow avatars is how we all get along. Keeps drama down and let's all face the truth here. Nobody wants their sim/business/location getting a bad rep because they simply didn't at least try to be reasonable. 

Just my opinion though. :)

On 12/18/2016 at 5:48 AM, WeeCharmer said:

As a child avatar, I am honestly conflicted on this. While I totally agree that children have no place on an adult sim where sex acts occur, I also believe that adult sims should not have items that lure children in. Such as fishing buoy's. Many children in SL do not have "parent's" to spoil them, nor can they work in clubs to get what they want. And not everyone wants to buy L$ with RL money. So putting out buoys that all avatars are alloed to use, and then shaking your finger at a child avatar, simply for wanting to fish, seems a bit asinine and callous on the part of the buoy owner. 

And for those of you about to yell, "Oh! But there could be sex going on!" Yeah? So what? Are you going to si there and tell me that you kno for a fact your parents NEVER had sex with you at home as a child? Not once? Not EVER EVER EVER? If so, I call bullsticks. 

If it's a BDSM or obvious sex sim, then yes, keep us out. If not, then simply make sure we know where we can and cannot go and then if we are not compliant, ban us. 

Working with your fellow avatars is how we all get along. Keeps drama down and let's all face the truth here. Nobody wants their sim/business/location getting a bad rep because they simply didn't at least try to be reasonable. 

Just my opinion though. :)

Your opinion made me cringe so hard that few of my brain cells committed suicide. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.