I crash within a minute of going to one particular sim, no problem anywhere else.

Sinesa Yven

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

its only been happening just recently, did not have problem going to this sim before yesterday. I have tried using different viewers, restoring default settings in preferences, clearing cache, changing draw distance, nothing helps. Logging in as another user having exact same problem,  crashes only at this same place.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Franks%20Place%202/115/100/34

Any ideas what could be causing this?

6 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Sinesa

If you are only crashing when you go to one particular sim, then it is highly unlikely to be anything to do with your settings. It is possible there is a problem on the sim and it needs restarting, or it could be that a griefer has installed a sim crasher there.

You could add the location to your original post (click on "options"<"edit" - top right hand corner of your original post), and someone else might go and check out the location to see if they also crash and shed more light on this.

Other responses and suggestions will follow. Please keep checking back here.

Ok thanks for that..ive pasted the link to the place.

I just tried to go there again and when I started to walk I cant move and I have to quickly teleport out otherwise SL quits on me and I need to relog.
It is a busy sim but it has never been a problem before yesterday. I can see many others are there so seems to be a problem just for me.

There may be a texture on that sim that your viewer can't open properly for some reason. I've had similar problems with some viewers. There are two basic types of image decoding used by SL viewers - KDU by Kakadu, which is used by the Linden Lab viewers and Firestorm, seems more reliable but it requires the viewer maker to have a license to use it. Most other viewers use OpenJPG, which doesn't require special licensing. Try logging into that location with a different viewer, especially one which uses the opposite image-decoding system to the one you usually use.

• Like 1

Frank's is one of the busier places in SL, and possibly several other people also crash frequently while they are there. However, it could be possible that something has gone awry with your connection, so you need to test it. And ensure you have latest drivers installed for your graphics card. Also bear in mind that all our computers suffer with wear and tear, and this may be a factor.

I'm sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

The reality of SecondLife is that on crowded regions, if you have any issues with your Internet Service [such as lost packets or high latency] your session may crash selectively.  The newer SL Viewer technology is being implemented to be more forgiving of these issues with SSAServer Side Appearance ] but is not there yet.

Make sure your Internet connection is on solid footing:

1) Wired using an Ethernet cable versus wireless

2) Performing well using a speed testing serviceUSA: www.speedtest.net  ]

3) No unneeded Anti-virus or Anti-malware searches of SecondLife bound packets - Add SL programs to the exclude list.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.