Rez temp object -- disappears when avatar stands

Xxaxx Constantine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am in the process of writing a script that will rez an object for avatars to use (by sitting).

After the avatars stand, I would like the object to disappear.

Do I need to write self-delete code?

Or, is there a simple method built into SL?

In using google I find mostly articles about people using temp prims to get around land limits.

Is there a good article I can read?

Thanks for any clues

There are two concepts mixed together in your question.  When people use temporary prims to get around land limits, they are generally using "temp rezzers" that are designed to keep rezzing the same object over and over and over again instead of rezzing a "permanent" object once.  It doesn't violate the prim limits but it's generally regarded as "bad practice" --- and forbidden on many sims --- because rezzing always stalls the servers briefly.  Repeated rezzing adds to sim lag.

That's not what you're proposing to do. Rezzing a temporary object to sit on or wear, or as a demo for a shop, is fine.  As Innula says, a temp_on_rez prim will not vanish as long as it's worn or linked to an avatar.  If you rez a temporary chair, it will be around for almost a minute before it poofs.  If someone sits on it, it won't vanish until the person stands up.  If you want to guarantee that the chair disappears as soon as the person stands up, even if it's before its 1-minute temporary lifetime, just trigger a llDie() function when the changed event senses that llAvatarOnSitTarget is NULL_KEY.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.