Callling Jean Horten!!! Probs with Manjaro/Singularity Callling Jean Horten!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, I already managed to get Sing running under Mint 14, so I know it's possible to have a 64bit viewer running on Linux 64bit systems. Yesterday I switched over to Manjaro Linux 64bit, downloaded and unpacked the viewer ... doesn't work. :smileysurprised: Anyone here clued up enough to tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to get it running, please?

Jean? You there? You must help me! Afterall it was you who got me into this mess by recommending Manjaro over *buntu  and Minty. :smileytongue::smileywink: So little clueless me just followed your advice and ended up kneedeep in chit. :smileysad:

Oh yes, why didn't I think of contacting her directly? /me facepalms

And btw, I was really curious about Manjaro, particloarly the rolling release aspect is very appealing to me, and the speed and the kinda high geek factor. :smileyhappy: I'm seriously looking for a distro that will replace Windows once and for all.

shoot forgot :)

i've not used Windows in years myself. At work I even use Linux primarily, though there Windows is unavoidable. The geekier ways to run Linux seem appealing until you get tired of compiling everything from scratch :) My own path was Slackware (between '96 and ~'02), running Linux built entirely from scratch for about a year, SuSE for a few months, RedHat somewhere in there too, then switching to Kubuntu since I'm neither fond of Gnome nor Unity, and Enlightenment is more or less dead. With *buntu switching away from X I may need to look around for a different distro again though - I do need X for work. We'll see.

IMO the biggest factor for a distro (for me) is ease of use and package support. Anything Debian-based seems to be the way to go for that. At least right now, until a more popular packaging system comes along. :)

Well, especially the package support is sposed to be very good with Manjaro since you have the Arch + buntu repos available. I've not yet played with it but it's what ppl are saying.

And as far as E goes, have you tried Bodhi yet? Is a kinda brandnew E17 system and received good reviews so far. So it seems they are trying to save Enlightenment from extinction with that distro. My taste is for Cinnamon but since Manjaro comes with XFCE as standard I'm trying to get used to that now. And, right, Unity is real crap. If I  wanted Unity I could go with Apple right away. :smileymad:

I know E is still around but it's really not worth it anymore. I've had it on my comp for a while, but hardly used it so I ditched it. Overall I like shinies (figures, right?) so I'm sticking with KDE for the time being. On my ancient lappy I have XFCE since that's all it can handle.

So, sent you a private mesage here, hope that solves your problem, Orca.

Regarding Cinnamon, I am not sure if it will already work with the  Gnome 3.8 stuff which by the way also causes problems with MATE and also with XFCE.

Jeannie

P.S. Gnome devs are focussed on Gnome only, if their stuff breaks other DEs which rely on GTK or Gnome libs, thes don't care at all, due to their moronic : "Thou shall not use anything but our GnomeS hell in our brand identity standard layout" attitude.

OK girls, call me a stupid n00b if you want ... because I am just that ... but I'm busy right now downloading Zorin OS. Might not be then fastest linux ever and not very fancy but perfet for people who come from Win7, like me. :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.