AutoCAD to mesh?

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi :)

One way you could probably do it is by first Importing  the .dxf file into Blender then Exporting .dae from there.

1: To Import into Blender you woould need at activate the .dxf importer : File>User preferences>Addons>then in the search tab search for Import and then activate the Import-Export Autocad addon.

preferences.png

2: Then Import the Autocad file  :File>Import>Autocad.dxf

import.png

3: To export to SL : File>Export>Collada .dae

Export Collada.png

If you can save the mesh from Autocad as a .obj then you wouldn't need to bother with step 1

• Like 1

Using 3ds max I'm able to import dxf/dwg files. I'm not sure if the other 3d programs do that.

EDIT going by the other post Blender will import dxf as well:)

Autocad has the option to export as fbx, you could try converting those fbx files to dae with Autodesk's converter, but I wouldn't recommend this, since Autocad's dwg format is a bit like SL prims, the usual objects are extrusions and lathes etc, not wireframes. I'm pretty sure Blender will import the fbx files, you could do your final modeling and mapping in there.

I bet that Autocad has a Collada exporter as well. Maybe that is already all you need to enable and then export to Collada ?

Ok, then you probably have to find out how to optimize your models for Second Life. I do not know how far Autocad goes regarding optimization of 3D meshes. So maybe you eventually need to consider using another 3D program for preparing your models for SL.

BTW Blender is not sooo hard to learn. The old days are gone, the user interface is now useful and it looks pretty.... well, more pretty than 3 years ago at least :matte-motes-evil-grin:

You can still use the fbx exporter in autocad and the fbx converter to turn it into a dae file. Even though the 2d days of autocad are ancient history,  I don't think it's going to be easy to get good mapping and a good topology without using a true 3d program.

Autocad 2014 has a dae importer, not sure if it has an exporter. Still waiting for my fresh copy.

There's some bug in the fbx exporter, try the command line instead of the menu:

FBX export not working

That works for me.

Then convert the fbx file to dae with the converter I linked earlier.

It's far from perfect, mapping is saved, but solids are split into faces, making a big mess. (boxes seem to import complete, I didn't try cylinders or spheres)

Blender will open the fbx or dae, I'd do my final editing there if I were you.

There's a plugin for autocad that lets you save obj files, it's not free though: Automesher Application

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.