Data Storage with llEmail or llHTTPResponse

Aileen Ragu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

i'm trying to get some complexe data stored for longer then script runtime. I'll checked my possibilities and since SL doesnt know a method like writeNotecard (like OpenSim)  the only ways i could find would be the functions listed above. So far, sending a request with llHTTPResponse and then parsing the response sounds like the best solution. 

Would you agree with this or are there better solutions i don't have discovered yet? 

It depends how much data you want to store, for how long, and what you intend to do with it once stored. At one end of these, you could just store it in-world, perhaps using distributed redundant in-world data server scripts. For many applications, however, such as retaining the data after all of Second Life shuts down, or many megabytes of data, or to do external analytics, yeah, you'd want to ship the data to an external server, and you'd do that either by using llHTTPRequest initiated from the in-world script, or by polling from the external server and replying from the in-world script with llHTTPResponse.

(Personally, for anything Notecard-scale, I use in-world storage just because I'm cheap about hosting fees, but if one already has an external server set up, that's much simpler.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.