rigging avatar in blender

Lembourne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can have a look here (if you did not already) : Rigging Thread (Mesh)

There i am explaining how i made a non human model fit to the SL skeleton and which things are important to keep in mind. regarding custom animations or how to avoid that need.

And here a general starter tutorial for blender :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqW3BBRu1DI

But it would be best if you could explain 'what' kind of creature you are trying to rig. And maybe post some screenshots of the model here in this thread. And what you got so far / where the problems are.

regarding your PM to me, you 'can' modify the skeleton. but you can not add more bones to it for the ingame usage.
And most modifications or deformations result in the need of custom animations for this rigged model. 

If you could provide us with the information what you are trying to achieve, some screenshots etc, as said - that would make it easier to give you tips of how to do it or if even possible.

okay, that is basically a 'human' / biped avatar (in terms of having 2 legs and 2 arms etc), so at least nothing with 8 arms or needing much deformation as something like a dog etc. ; )

That model kinda looks familar ^.-  but anyways: 

What you could do is basically what i explained here Rigging Thread (Mesh).

- Take a new untouched default SL skeleton (male or female is up to you) just keep in mind which ever you may choose,
  you will need to wear a 'shape' accordingly to this choice underneath the mesh avatar. (either male or female)

- Don't forget to unparent your model first from any other armature you might have it assigned to at the moment. (and in best case also delete all weight groups) and delete the armature modifier. To have a clean and fresh start.

- Straiten out the arms to fit to the t-pose of the skeleton/armature. (at the moment they are making a forwards curve)
- And turn the hands so that the palms are facing downwards (like the SL default avatar has them)
- Adjust the topology to fit to the moved / rotated / newly alinged arms and hands.
- Then also move the legs and feet of the model together to fit better to the initial T-Pose of the armature.

These steps will prevent you from having to do custom animations already for simple standing poses etc. And you can
make it work with 'most' (not all)  animations being done for the default avatar.

- After this is done switch into editmode for the armature and move carefully by staying in the orthohraphic views (front,
  top, side) the tips and tails of the bones, so they will fit the length of his arms and legs and the rest of his body.
  But stick to the straight t-pose, just change the length of the bones / positions of the tips/tails.

- Make sure you adjust both sídes the same way (so that there won't be any issues regarding differently behaving sides)

- Then parent your model to the armature, preferebly in that case with automatic weights. (I wouldnt copy from the default
  avatar, the structures of both models are too different)

- now you can start to adjust the weights and refine them to fit the requirements for SL and behaving like wanted.

- Then you export your model along with the skeleton, and upload it to second life to test it.

Hi;

Codewarrior provides a really awesome and impressing detailed amount of knowledge in this forum. And you should listen to him carefully :) However maybe it is worthwhile to mention that there is a possible way how you could get away without editing the skeleton at all.  Maybe all you need to do is just bending the Mesh into the T-Pose, then use the Second Life shape sliders to finish your task.

Instead of getting verbose here, i propose you google for "SL shape sliders in blender" to find a few articles about how to get this done.

BTW there are also (at least) 2 solutions available for how to rig a non T-Pose character to the Second Life skeleton. One method is described in one of Ashasekayi's Videos

The other method can be found by googling for "Non T Pose baking" and while i write that, it occurs to me, that this method should better have been named "non t pose rigging" :matte-motes-sour:

Hi, Min; Thank you for mentioning that tutorial. However the OP had a biped in mind (see his image). So maybe it could very well be possible to get away with the "standard skeleton" without editing it. I believe the following tutorial might come closest to what i have in mind when looking at the OP's character:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.