Maya 2013 errors opening standard sizes

Napili Sands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I get these errors trying to open Standard Sizes & Rig Scene - Male & Female MAYA 2012.mb

in Maya 2013. I don't have vray, is there a way around this?

TIA

# Error: line 1: RuntimeError: file <maya console> line 1: Plug-in, "vrayformaya.mll", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. #
requires "Mayatomr" "2012.0m - 3.9.1.36 ";
requires "stereoCamera" "10.0";
requires "Turtle" "5.3.0.2";
# Error: line 1: RuntimeError: file <maya console> line 1: Plug-in, "Turtle.mll", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. #
// Warning: line 0: Unrecognized node type for node 'vrayEnvironmentPreview'; preserving node information during this session. //
// Warning: line 0: Unrecognized node type for node 'TurtleRenderOptions'; preserving node information during this session. //
// Warning: line 0: Unrecognized node type for node 'TurtleUIOptions'; preserving node information during this session. //
// Warning: line 0: Unrecognized node type for node 'TurtleBakeLayerManager'; preserving node information during this session. //
// Warning: line 0: Unrecognized node type for node 'TurtleDefaultBakeLayer'; preserving node information during this session. //
// Warning: line 0: Unrecognized node type for node 'vraySettings'; preserving node information during this session. //

Heya, would have been nice if you added a link to the files you downloaded and trying to use.

Whatever it is it appears either the mb file was saved with Vray informations and looking for Vray in your maya plugins and of course can't find it.

It also looks for the turtle renderer and material libary and can not find that one either.

If it is letting you open the files at least. You can just assign new materials to the objects. And then save it.

The turtle renderer though should be included in your Maya version (if its a creative suite version) But the turtle version might be different from what the file requests. (this you can check in your preferences and settings to see which turtle version is included) You also possibly need to activate the turtle renderer if is disabled.

But as said. Generally it should still open the files. And assigning new materials to it and replacing everything in the scene that is trying to access Vray or a different Turtle version should be possible. If not try to get a fitting example file for your speciffic maya version.

If you can't get the .mb files to work, import the FBX files, and work with those.  The geometry and rigging should come in perfectly.  You'll just have to add your own layers, which only takes a few seconds.

As for wha'ts wrong with the .mb's, your guess is as good as mine. There's got to be something more wrong with them than just extraneous render nodes.  Errors triggered by the absence of V-Ray or Turtle should only result in the malfunction of nodes that are specific to those plugins.  Geometry, rigging, etc., should still be present.

The fact that those render nodes are there at all suggests that whoever created the scene files either doesn't know his/her way around Maya very well, or at least doesn't have much experience working in a collaborative environment with it, or perhaps was just simply careless.  Standard procedure when you're going to be sharing a scene is to make sure the scene doesn't have anything in it that doesn't absolutely need to be there, and especially to make sure there are no dependencies in it toward plugins that the next user might not have.  Saving it with V-Ray and Turtle nodes present was pretty sloppy.

I'm afraid I can't be much help in diagnosing what's wrong with the scenes that would prevent them from functioning in 2013, since I'm still using 2009.  I get an "invalid file structure" error when I try to open either scene.  I can't tell if that means the scenes truly are borked, or if it just means they can't work with 2009.  Sometimes scenes from newer versions work; sometimes they don't.

The FBX's do work for me, though.  I can't imagine they wouldn't work for you, too.

Give it a whirl, and let us know how you make out. :)

Thanks, the FBX files went right in. I'm not very proficient at Maya, I'm just blundering my way through using a friends computer, trying to rig some free .DAE files I got from FATEcreate to standard SL avatar sizes. I'm getting there, little by little.

--||-

Glad chosen's suggestion worked out. =)

Since i didnt know at the time answering what files exactly it were, and that other filetypes had been included, i couldn't think of that one.

And as we both said already, normally if a file is bound in such ways that the presence of thirparty renderers or even speciffic versions of native renderers are giving issues is rather bothersome and not very good structured / thought through.

No offense to the creators. I guess they had good things in mind offering files for free use to people who want to learn =) but they might want to update them so that a wider range of users can open them.

Good luck with your projects. 
Cheers, Code.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.