Baby script

Haytch Quicksand

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm working on a mesh baby and need help with a script that allows mesh objects to attach to the prim ( so if i make a new clothing set, you can wear the object or drop it and the script inside the baby and the clothes will recognise eachother and the clothes will attach to the baby)  is it possible?

Mesh is more limited than sculpties at this because the mesh model is the mesh asset, so you can't convert just any already-linked prim into the desired mesh, and you can't add anything (such as a new mesh) to a linkset while it's worn.

If, however, you're okay with being able to change the baby's clothes only while it's detached, that is possible. You'd use llCreateLink and llBreakLink (and some inter-object communications and housekeeping to remember which link to break, and of course PERMISSION_CHANGE_LINKS).

I Don't Think you understood what I meant, The Mesh Isn't wearable, Its just a 'prim' Baby, more detailed and realistic, The clothing is seperate, Both made with 3d Software, the clothes made around the baby template, But I wanted the mesh clothes that I make for the baby to attach to the actually baby when being held or whatever?

It's the "when being held" part that's a problem. It's not possible to change what constitutes an object (the linkset) while an avatar is wearing it as an attachment. (Same is true for objects an avatar is sitting on.) So the baby's clothing could be neither added nor removed while it's being held.

This can happen as long as the baby and clothing are rezzed without being attached to an avatar--as on a "changing table" perhaps, or just on the ground.

The way we used to avoid this problem with prims and sculpties was to have a supply of extra prims--tiny, blank, invisible--already linked to the object (the baby in this case), and so a new article of clothing for the baby was really just the instructions to tell some of those extra prims to turn themselves into that particular article of clothing. Mesh defeats that because something either begins as a specific mesh or it doesn't; there's no turning something else into a mesh.

If all the possible mesh clothes for the baby were already linked to it, that would work. They could be "inside" the baby in the sense that they could be scaled down to tiny and buried within the baby's own geometry so they wouldn't be visible. This, however, may pose a couple practical problems:

• Land Impact might get so high as to limit rezzing the baby except as an attachment, and even some risk of making baby-wearing avatars too complex to render
  • All clothes would have to exist before selling a baby, not as add-ons developed in response to market demand

I don't think you really want to do this, unless you know that only a few simple clothing items will ever exist. 

Note, however, that "all clothes" really refers to all clothing geometry. You could, of course, have just one shape of baby-T-shirt and paint it with different textures to get different clothing items. It's the mesh geometry that's limiting here, but you could deliver an infinite number of texture UUIDs as after-market items, perhaps augmented by quite different surface treatments when we get normalmaps and specularmaps.

That would be a quite different script from one that allows linking-in new meshes to the unworn baby.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.