Rigged mesh in blender is static on Second life

LisaMarie McWinnie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,I use Blender 2.64,and I made a rigged mesh dress.I did some weight painting,and I will probably have to do some more,but I would like to upload it now,to see how good(or bad) the rigging is.

I go with 'Second Life Rigged' presets,and while the model looks right after uploading it on Second life,it is static.

In the 'Display' options I only have 'Edges' and 'Textures' highlited.

What should I do?

Then you probably you have exported your mesh without the skeleton. Note that since Blender 2.64 the skeleton must be exported along with the mesh, otherwise you get no weights exported! To make your life easier we have added 2 operator presets to Blender for Rigged mesh and Static mesh.

You find the presets when you open

File -> export -> Collada (Default) .dae"

Then look at the left tool sidebar of the file selector box. The presets are in the top row of the export options. From there select "Second Life Rigged" and all is well ;)

1. In the SL Importer: Try reset & clear the SL importer's form. There is a button on the first screen of the importer for that.
  2. Ensure that you have 21 vertex groups (fro the 21 main SL bones) in your mesh
  3. Ensure there are weights in all of the groups.
  4. Ensure that your armature modifier is set to "Vertex groups" and NOT(!) to bones envelopes.
  5. And as it was mentioned before, be suer you do NOT apply the armature modifier to yourmesh! (Note the "Aplly Modifiers" option in the Collada exporter is safe to use!)

2.  Im sorry,but how do I check that?
- Enter Edit mode
- go into the properties panel - in "object data" tab, and look into the submenu called 'vertex groups' 
- flick through the list in order to check if all the 21 bonegroups are there. (all starting with a small "m" like mSkull,mNeck etc)

3. I don't know how to check that too D:
- in the above described vertex groups panel. Select one of the vertex groups and click the button: select (right below it- when in edit mode)
- check what the value below the vertrex group menu says and make sure its displaying 1.000
- Then, in the N-Info-Panel with those vertices selected scroll down until you see the weighting amount and make sure there are values in it as well.
- In addition what i allways do to ensure that no vertice is not weighted at all (but only when running into problems):
- click one vertrex group after the other and hit the 'select' button. once you done this with all 21 groups, rotate and inspect your model to see if there are any vertices that would 'not be selected - thus not having any assignment at all.

• Just a quick additional info: To find unreferenced vertices, you can go to edit mode and then Select -> ungrouped verts. You find the same function when you go to weight paint mode, and enter vertex selection masking, then the same selection exists.
  • Also Blender 2.67 will have an option to display unweighted vertices in weight paint mode:

It is already implemented and you even can configure the color of the unreferenced vertices. so actually you can now see visually where the unreferenced vertices are.

• And just for completion, you can remove weights from vertices with more than 4 weights from within the toolshelf when you are in weight paint mode. Search for the Weight Tools panel, there you find the button "Limit Total"

Just a quick additional info: To find unreferenced vertices, you can go to edit mode and then Select -> ungrouped verts. You find the same function when you go to weight paint mode, and enter vertex selection masking, then the same selection exists.

hmmm. can't find that one. is it in blender 2.65 already or in 2.66 ?

Also Blender 2.67 will have an option to display unweighted vertices in weight paint mode:
It is already implemented and you even can configure the color of the unreferenced vertices. so actually you can now see visually where the unreferenced vertices are.

Now this is great news!
Didn't see that yet. Thanks for the info.
I like the idea to have a darker background color to spot them more easily. Allways found it a bit troublesome in blender compared to other 3D suits i am using. Eventho you could find them by selecting the vert groups. But this will make it less troublesome in terms of not needing to switch back and forth between edit and weightpaint mode : )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.