Seeking advice with Sculpted prims

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have Blender v2.66.1 I'm just learning how to make a sculpted prim, I'm actually a fast learner with this kind of thing, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make the map to upload to second life. I've searched and read the whole manuel looking for this. I'm hoping someone out there could help me figure this out. I just need the steps to do it thank you for the help.

You upload a sculpt map the same way you upload any other image:  Build -> Upload -> Image, or ctrl-U. :)

ETA:  Whoops, looks like I misread your post.  I thought you said you "can't figure out how to make the map upload to second life," meaning you had already made the map, and just didn't know how to get it into SL.  I see now that what you actually said was, "can't figure out how to make the map to upload to second life," meaning you need to know how to make the map itself.  Those two little letters make such a difference!  Sorry about that.

As Knutz said, the easiest way to do it is to use PrimStar. 

Or, if you're so inclined, you can create your own shader to map the XYZ values to RGB.  That was how people did it before plugins like PrimStar were readily available.  I'm guessing you don't want to do that, though, or you just would have done it, rather than ask. :)

For what it's worth, I also agree with Knutz that just makng ordinary mesh models is, in nearly all cases, the better way to go.  Sculpties are a kluge that were added to SL before it had support for arbitrary mesh.  It was a way to get SL to do a little more with its exisitng architecture, while proper mesh support was still in the works.  Sculpties have no place anywhere besides SL (and OpenSim), and barely have any place anymore even there.

Generally speaking, you'll have a far easier time, and will produce much better looking results, simply by modeling the same way you would for any other platform, and exporting to COLLADA for upload to SL.  Sculpties are barely worth your time.

Sculpties are just a really messed up subset of mesh that you'll only find here on SL and OpenSims, and thus to do them in Blender at least somewhat easily you'll need to install a plug in for Blender, most common is PrimStar which you can find here.  You can also read the wiki on sculpties here.  Or .....

You could skip sculpties, and be able to use Blender without the addon, and use mesh instead.  A good starting point for that is here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.