Performance on Mid-range PC

Extrude Ragu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all.

I wondered if you could help me speed up my Second Life Viewer. 

My issue is this;

My Graphics card dedicated memory, whenever playing Second Life, jumps up to 90+% and I start to see huge FPS drops to sub 5 FPS which makes the game unplayable.

My PC certainly isn't the latest and greatest but it's not slow either, some specs;

- GeForce GTX 650 Ti (with 1024 Mb dedicated graphics memory which all gets used when playing SL)

- Core 2 Quad Q6600 (4 Core) @ 2.4Ghz

- 4Gb DDR2 SDRAM

What graphics settings should I change in game and the nvidia control panel in order to make the game run fast whilst maintaining reasonable quality?

I have exactly the same processor with two GB more memory and a Nvidia GT 640 card and run SL very well. Try these:

You didni't say what viewer you're using. Right now, the Linden Lab release viewer 3.4.5 may be fastest for your computer by a noticeable margin if my experience is compatible. Turn "Lighting and Shadows" on in "Graphics" - "Preferences" but set the "Shadows" selector to "None." Don't set your anti-aliasing any higher than 2x - with Lighting and Shadows (also called Deferred Rendering) on the viewer uses a special anti-aliasing procedure that gives very good results at lower settings.

I use a draw distance of 128, max non-impostor avatars at 12.

If you've gotten into the "Develop" menu and turned "Full Res Textures" on, TURN IT OFF. It will burn through video and system memory with no real visble benefit.

I don't do anything fancy with the Nvidia settings - it runs fine for me with the SL application controlling things.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.