Building a Beach - Shore - Rounded Edge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying to edit some land and need to make the edge of it a beach shape/coastline. I can't get it to be a smooth shape into the water. Any ideas, I may be using the wrong land tools not sure. Hope this question makes sense and thanks all for any help.

It takes patience and practice.  I suspect everyone has a different approach.  When I want a gently sculpted land surface, I use moderately large Size and a very low-Strength tools.  I raise or lower large areas, keeping my tool back from the boundary between them (or at least not overlapping areas that I have raised and sunk), using the terraforming tool like a paintbrush.  When the high and low areas are the right height, then I use the Smooth tool to gently shape the boundary between them.  Thus, the boundary -- in your case, the shoreline -- is the last part that I shape in this way. If I mess up, I make the entire slope smooth and start over again.

I have had lots of experience making shorelines on private regions, but I don't know if this will help you either. Because I'm crazy and my favorite tool for doing this is GIMP! (Photoshop would work). I paint a greyscale picture of the land and water that I want and use the Gausian blur tool to blend (slope) the border between the two. Then I use Backhoe (a program that runs on the Mac, tools to do this are available on other platforms) to import that greyscale terrain map into a .RAW terrain file. Then I log in-world and import the raw terrain file with the region management tools.

If you just wanted to add a nice beach on one end of a region you already had, you can export the region terrain map to your PC, extract the terrain height plane, paint in the beach, import back into the raw file, import the raw file back in-world. Easy!?

TipJar2.png

FirestormScreenSnapz006.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.