Multiple faces mesh/exporting from Blender question

Heath Pevensey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So today i figured out how to create multiple faces for sl on my mesh objects, which is wonderful. However i need to figure out a few more options, and I'll use one of the objects as an example to see if you guys can help me :)

I have a frame i created, and of course i mapped it to have a seperate face where you would place the photo inside the frame. The problem is, that face reads as if it uses the UV map for the whole object, so pictures are not 1:1 on the face, they are offset by quite a bit. So the question is, do i deal with that simply by setting the offset in SL, so customers can drop the photo and it will LOOK correct, or is there a way to export the mesh and have that face ready to take a texture normally 1:1, as if i was dropping it on the side of a prim? Hopefully that's somewhat clear.

In a nutshell, I'd like to have it so when i import the mesh for the frame into SL, that face where the photo goes will just take a texture normally, as if its not offset in any way.

Any help would be great! Ty

If you are using Blender...

Just UV map the materials separately. There's no need for their UV maps not to overlap, as they will be using diffferent textures. Select just the faces belonging to a matyerial and then do the UV map whichever way you like. For the picture face, if you look straight at the face and choose Project fom view (bounds), it should automatically fill the whole UV plane. Otherwise, you can edit it in the UV editor to exactly fit the whole area. (Or you might shrink it ever so slightly to exclude the extreme edge and avoid possible edge-bleeding effects.)

If you are baking textures, select the material faces, hide unselected, make a new image and bake, the show hidden and repeat. That way, each material will get baked to a separate image, and the overlapping of the UV maps will have no effect.

If you are using something else, I'm sure the same approach is possible, but someone else will have to tell you the details.

Drongle got in first but i'll post anyways :)

As Drongle said UV unwrap each material seperately (frame and then picture)

Image 1a is selecting everything and then Unwrapping and 1b is the result :

1a.png

1b.PNG

Images 2a and 2b , selecting the materials seperately and 2c is the result :

2a.PNG

2b.PNG

2c.PNG

As u can see in Image 2c the complete screen shot is not clipped . (dark image so may have to look carefully  :)  )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.