Login Problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sometimes after viewer updates firewalls (or updates of the firewall itself) detect the SL executables as new unknown program. Maybe check your firewall and set a rule again with pointing at your latest SL Viewer's .exe. (and just in case check your antivirus too)

To check how good / bad your bandwidth is go you can use online testers like this one: http://www.speedtest.net/

And as Valerie already said, in case you are using Wifi, try to connect via cable to your router. (the amount of data being transferred via wifi is enough for regular websites etc but in case of intense memory loads like in SL and other platforms / games it can be very hindering and slowing things down or even fail completely)

Codewarrior Congrejo wrote:

Sometimes after viewer updates firewalls (or updates of the firewall itself) detect the SL executables as new unknown program. Maybe check your firewall and set a rule again with pointing at your latest SL Viewer's .exe. (and just in case check your antivirus too)

To check how good / bad your bandwidth is go you can use online testers like this one: 

And as Valerie already said, in case you are using Wifi, try to connect via cable to your router. (the amount of data being transferred via wifi is enough for regular websites etc but in case of intense memory loads like in SL and other platforms / games it can be very hindering and slowing things down or even fail completely)

Really, more important than speed test is http://pingtest.net/

good addition. *thumbs up* ; )

Packet loss is the real issue.  Speed is secondary.

I don't know any one now who does  but I used to know people who would log in on dial up.  But pretty much all they could do was chat.

Statistics 1.jpg

From (pops)

Statistics 2.jpg

From (pops)

Oh god 'those far away times' *nods* (even though based on their location - i.e.. some living far out on countryside - some people still do) I do recall I read last year something about AOL still having,  just in America alone, around 2,5 - 3 million people using dialup. 

Pretty interesting stats.

Nice dig ; )
And just shows again we shouldn't forget to think about those who might still have to fiddle with dial up.

I wondered where that slight increase in december 2012 came from. So i dug around a bit myself. I found that some internet providers actively marketed dial up to people in uncovered areas, in order to get them ' under the hood' and to expand their all over coverage by starting with cheap technology. And in hope to convert those areas later on into broadband aswell.

Fancy. Good old dial up still marketed in 2012, who would have thought that =)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.