Name visible above avatar

stacykaplan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

You can't control the display of your username to other Residents, but you can control whether you see others' usernames and whether you see your own name.

To show or hide usernames inworld, both above other avatars and in chat:

1. Log into Second Life.
  2. Choose Me > Preferences from the top menu.
  3. Click the General tab.
  4. Select the Usernames checkbox. If the box is checked, usernames are shown. If the box is not checked, usernames are hidden.
  5. Click OK.

names.png

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Usernames-and-display-names/ta-p/700173

• Like 5

Your first and last name IS your username. If you're looking to show your display name only, it's not possible. You can disable display names and only see usernames, but you can't disable usernames. Or rather, you can disable whether or not YOU can see your name above your head, but not whether or not other people can.

• Like 4

Stacy - You can create a Display Name "Joyful"

But please understand that your account name is what all transactions will be recorded under in your Transaction log and bots will only see you by your account name. Most people will see your Display name fine and call you by that name.

I'm sorry. The choice as to what name is displayed is up to each [avatar] account. This is because different avatar's have different requirements. Merchants need to know your account name in all dealings not the Display Name. I'm a DJ and seeing your Display name allows me to send you a custom greeting however, I also need your real name in order to save your music preferences in the Notes section of your Profile.

The reason LL does not allow the blanking out of your actual account name is so that you are in fact "unique".

By some weird stroke of luck, I'm the only KarenMichelle [anything] in all of SecondLife. But someone else could have a Display Name identical to my 1st name.. The Account name feature would make sure that any one seeing 2 KarenMichelle's in SL would know who was the DJ [real] one.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.