Sound range and object size

John Varonia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there any correlation with object size and sound range?  As in the larger it is, the further it can be heard?

My (limited) understanding of sound makes me think the prim size does not matter, and rather it would be a matter of volume or perhaps llTriggerSoundLimited but I I have a sound orb i purchased that resizes for range (tho I do not think that makes a difference)

You're right, prim size does not make a difference.  You can pump volume up to 1.0 (that is, 100% of the uploaded volume setting in the sound file), and you can affect whether the sound is tethered to the object or follows the object if it moves (by whether you choose llTriggerSound or llPlaySound).  Otherwise, the only thing that makes a difference to volume is how far your listener's camera focal point is from the sound source.  I suspect that your object's range adjustment is really just messing with the volume setting.

The range at which you can hear a sound from its source is incorrect - it dies off waaaaay to quickly. It creates the phenomena where unless you are right on top of the sound source, you will barely hear it.

Luckily, we can alter this viewer setting. In older versions of the viewer, this was easily accessable in the main preferences window. But that changed... Now it is hidden in the debug settings, and is named "AudioLevelRolloff"

play around with that debug setting (it persists after you exit SL) to get a more natural feeling roll off effect. Only trouble is that it's local only to your viewer. If you want others to have the same experience, you must somehow inform them of the desired setting.

True.  Unfortunately, as you point out, that's not a setting that we can mess with in LSL, because it is local to the client.  You don't need to use a Debug Setting though, at least in Firestorm (not sure about V3).  You can set that rolloff factor on the Sound & Media >>> General page in Preferences. 

It is still independent of the size of the object.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.