my avatar & my RL pictures were changed without my permission. how is this possible ? ty

RicardoVernus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

Yesterday, my avatar picture and the picture of my real life were changed without my permission.

On the new pictures it was written "The real Catalishious1969"
I'm the only one to know the password of my account ... the password can not be guessed.
Today I change my account password for security reasons.

Why my account information may have been changed without my permission?

How is this possible ?

I am afraid of being hacked my payment informations :((

Thank you for your help

3 answers to this question

You were probably hacked.  If you have not given the password to anyone, it can still happen because

You went AFK and someone you live with did it

You fell for a phishing scheme of some sort or have a keylogger on your computer and someone got your password that way.  This usually happens when you click a link and you go to a web site that steals the information.  Never click on a web link in world unless you know and trust the person that is giving it to you.  You may also want to check your computer for a key logger or other malware.

If you lost any inventory or lindens, or think someone got your payment information here's what to do:

For your payment information, notify your bank that your account was compromised to so that they can stop paying any charges and issue you a new credit card or account.  If any fraudulent activity has taken place notify the police too or other RL authorities

On the Second LIfe Help page page, click the Contact Support link on the right.
On the next page, click Submit a a Support Case form.
Under What type of problem are you having?, select Account Issue. A second dropdown appears.
Under Account Issue, select I believe my account has been compromised.
Fill in the rest of the fields as directed.
Click Submit.
Check your email for your case number.
Call our fraud number: 800-860-6990 .

Once you do this, Linden Lab will place your account on hold and investigate the relevant transactions. This may take a few days. Once they have concluded the investigation, they'll send you an email explaining our conclusion and the action taken. Note that all transactions involving Linden dollars are subject to Linden Lab's Terms of Service.

could it be bec of the bugs with profile and feeds that happened yesterday ?

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/2013/02/23/post1892/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SecondLifeGridStatus+%28Second+Life+Grid+Status+Updates%29

it messed some profiles showing other's profile instead of the right ones.

if so, normally it should be fixed today :smileyhappy:

• Like 5

You've already changed your password, so that's good. Your problem could very well be linked to the profile issue that occurred yesterday. However, if you're still concerned, give your bank a call, or drive over to  your bank, and ask for a statement. Check that statement for any transactions you don't recognize. Let them know that you believe an online account on which you have payment information may have been compromised. Ask them what can be done to monitor charges on that card. (If you used a credit card and not a bank card, call your credit card company. They should be able to do pretty much the same thing.)

I would wait on notifying LL, just this once, because I strongly suspect this is linked to the profile snafu yesterday. One thing you can do is check your $L balance. Has it changed since yesterday? Then check your email. You should recieve a reciept in your email every time you purchase $L. Make sure that the email linked to your account has not been changed, then check if you've gotten any reciepts for buying $L recently that you didn't buy. If your $L balance is the same, your email hasn't been changed, and you don't have any suspiscious reciepts, you should be fine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.