padding and faric wrap

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Need advice on how to create two mesh effects (for high-poly models):

The first is a vintage, leather padding, like this: http://steel-mastery.com/images/products/full/DSC_0058.JPG

The second is a fabric wrap effect around the top of a model, like this: http://toteallygorgeous.com/zcart/images/Purple%20Long%20Sleeve%20Wrap%20Top.jpg

I have a few ideas on how to model the padding but no clue on how to go about with the fabric wrap.

I'm only able to budget a few minutes of time to the forums today, so I'll have to make this fast.  I'm up against a tight deadline on a game project, so I won't be able to go into my usual level of detail on the how-to's this time, sorry.

Effects like that padded leather are best done with a normal map and/or a displacement map, depending the topology, and the capabilities of whatever platform you're creating the model for.

Your best bet on the fabric wrap is modeling by hand.  You can create wrinkles like that pretty easily with sculpt brushes (assuming your modeling program has them).  Otherwise, a displacement map could do the job, assuming the model's base topology is well suited for it.

Obviously, these solutions will not translate directly to SL (yet), so you'll need to bake the effects, if SL is your target platform.

Chosen Few wrote:

Obviously, these solutions will not translate directly to SL (yet), so you'll need to bake the effects, if SL is your target platform.

From what I understand the latest main server update includes the new material support, the one with normal maps. That by itself doesn't mean we can use it in a day, a week or a month, but it's on the way. Might be worth to wait it out for objects like these.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.