Market place skyboxes for sale on marketplace? What's the process for owning your own?

blueyozakura7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm trying to figure out the process. Someone said you can only rent a skybox but that didn't seem right because there are so many for sale on marketplace. So once you buy a skybox from there , how do you place it in the sky? Are you required to buy sky space first?  Sorry totally new to this. I'm going to rent a skybox for now but do want to buy my own to live in. 

Also "prims" I see this discussed in sales of homes and even in skybox rentals. Where exactly can you locate prim count and how do you know you've exceeded that number? Ooh and how would you exceed your prim count in the first place? 

2 answers to this question

Skyboxes, just as any other builds, require that you own land. When you own land, you also own the sky up to approxmiately 4000 meters. 

Here's an excellent guide on what is a skybox and how to rez them. As for the prims, when you own land, you can check your prim count in the about land menu > objects. Number of prims is directly depending on the land size. See this chart:

1/128 Region 512 sqm 117 US$5
1/64 Region 1,024 sqm 234 US$8
1/32 Region 2,048 sqm 468 US$15
1/16 Region 4,096 sqm 937 US$25
1/8 Region 8,192 sqm 1,875 US$40
1/4 Region 16,384 sqm 3,750 US$75
1/2 Region 32,768 sqm 7,500 US$125
Entire Region 65,536 sqm 15,000 US$195

You cannot exceed your prim count. Once you've reached the maximum prims allowed to your plot, any additional object will be rejected.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/GUIDE-What-s-a-skybox/ba-p/668693

Hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

• Like 2

You are mixed up about some basic concepts, blueyozakura :)

When you buy a skybox or a house on the Marketplace, you are buying an object.  To use that object in world, you need virtual land to put it on.

Land can be bought or rented.  Some rental operations will also provide you with one of their homes or skyboxes, so you don't have to buy one on the Marketplace.  That's what your friend means by "renting a skybox".

Skyboxes are simply structures that aren't connected to the ground.  When you own or rent land, you also own the sky above the land, and can place objects from ground level up to 4096m high.

Prims are the basic building blocks of Second Life.  All objects are made out of these simple geometric primitive shapes.  You can find the prim data for a parcel of land in World/About Land/Objects tab.  The number "parcel land capacity" is the number of prims that can be on the land.  Prims used will show how many prims are currently rezzed on or above the parcel.

Normally, you can't exceed your prim count, but there are situations where that can happen.  For example, let's say that Bob Avatar owns a Second Life region, subdivides it into 16 parcels, and rents them to others.  He gives each tenant a prim "allowance" of, say, 800 prims.  I could rent a parcel there, and put out a whole lot of furniture, a fancy house, lots of trees, etc, and have a total of 900 prims.  As long as the TOTAL prims on the region don't exceed its capacity (15,000 prims), I can do this.  Unti, that is, Bob checks my prim usage and sends me a sharp reminder to keep within my allotment.

I teach a class on Second Life land on Fridays, at 5 pm SL time at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's free to attend, and I urge you to do so before getting into buying or renting land.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.