Normal mapping and statues

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone.

Blending has been going great on my side. ^.^  So today I'm hunting for some light info:

I've been playing with the idea of an in-world store and was struck with the concept of posing manequins wearing my mesh clothes as decoration for the store. Obviously, nothing better than doing them myself, but I had a huge problem: prim counts and land impact.

While searching for a solution, I came across this tutorial on normal mapping. I've heard people here on the forums discuss normal mapping here and there, but never knew what ti was. I want to know if this works in SL: can I put a detailed mesh information onto a low-poly model and import it into SL? That might be a good solution for my manequins project.

Also, if you could tell me other applications of normal mapping for SL, I'd apreciate it! Thank you!

The theory of normal mapping itself is often used for real-time render environments (games etc) - using a normal map like the tutorial you linked to in order to give the impression of more geometry than is really there. A very efficient method in regards to rendering impact, especially with low detail geometry.

Until now, usage like this in SL hasn't been feasible (other than baked AO textures)..... BUT..... it is coming pretty soon (or rather, "LL soon").

THIS is what has many of us mesh creators excited - the upcoming materials project, which I believe to be nearing a test viewer release (if what I have read elsewhere is accurate). Normal mapping is used to suggest extra detail which isn't there in geometry. Specular mapping can be used to define "shininess", very effective in conjunction with a normal map. As you can see in the video, the normal map can generate realtime shadow effects without using geometry - so a lower LI for a higher detail effect.

(Unfortunately, the link text erroneously refers to specularity and reflectivity as the same thing, which it isn't. So NO mirror effects etc).

• Like 1

LL is working on support for normal maps as we speak. Last thing I heard was the servers are ready, but the viewers aren't yet. Anyway, in the (near) future you can add a lot of detail to a low poly object exactly like you see in the tutorial.

Pretty much all objects can look better with normal maps, think about tiretracks, small buttons, brickwork, woodgrain, clothing details, anything that's not completely polished flat.

Oh wow, that is good news! I an't wait wait for it: I often have to remove or destroy details from my mesh clothing since the LI gets too big. Being able to get small things like buttons, bows, ribbons, fabrics and ruffles with high detail with low LI is a dream come true for me. ^.^

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.