Avatar is cloud. Was just fine at one point, then went white. Have done ALL suggestions. Help please

Mecate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have done ALL the suggestions, including uninstalling/reinstalling. Two days ago, my avatar was just fine, then in a matter of minutes, it became a white oval. Everytying is completely rezzing around me. People tell me my avatar looks fine. The 'wireless connection' possiblity does not make any sense to me; if EVERYTHING is rezzing around me, why would only my avatar still be a white cloud. If the wireless were indeed part of the issue, I would expect other things to not rezz out.

Thank you for your help!!

Mecate

1 answer to this question

No, the cloudy appearance occurs because your avatar's appearance, stored on your own computer, has been damaged in downloading from the servers, or vice versa.  Everything else you see is either in your texture cache or is downloaded fresh as you come across it in world. It is quite possible for your avatar's appearance to be messed up but everything else to look just fine.  It happens all the time.

You're dealing with a communication problem between your computer and SL's servers. Information about your appearance has to be "baked" onto your avatar on your own computer, saved there, and then uploaded to SL before it's fully visible there. If the necessary information is messed up in transmission, you may end up with a borked file on your computer, or SL's servers may end up with a borked image. Either way, your av's appearance defaults to a fluffy cloud. What works to repair the damage for one person won't necessarily work for the next person, and it may not be the same thing that works for you tomorrow. See the full list of possibilities here >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_bake_fail . Start with the simple things at the top of the list and work down until you find what works for you today.

BTW, installing and re-installing your viewer may have absolutely no effect, because the appearance files and all of your cache are stored in your AppData area.  Unless you do a clean install, those files remain untouched, complete with any damage.

You may find that the bake fail problem comes back repeatedly, even after you fix it with one of the suggestions on that wiki page. If so, you have a chronically weak Internet connection. There are many steps to take for repairing it. Perhaps the simplest ones -- ones that work best for most people -- are: (1) Don't Use WIRELESS. Wireless connections are inherently less stable than direct cable connections and are more vulnerable to interference that can be the cause of damage to your appearence files. Then, (2) Reboot your router. Unplug it from the power for a few minutes to let it clear its RAM. Then plug it back in and let it get a fresh hold on an IP address.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.