viewer refreshes every second.

Jordan Giant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hej there guys, i thought of trying this opportunity because i have no clue and patience anymore.

i use the official viewer, because i love the simple interface and i am used to it. but now the official viewer starts to rebake every second so does the beta viewer too. in the beginning my avatar only started to rebake every second, so  i turned off http textures and it seemed like the problem was solved but now whole secondlife rebakes but my avatar is still fine. i tried cleared cache trough the viewer itself and manually.  but the problem is still there.

so i used firestorm ( i dislike the interface much) and the problem don't appear on firestorm. now i would say,... anyways i will get used to the interface. buuuut firestorm is soooo darn slow. i turned grafics to the lowest point and it still feels like i am on a full sim. but all the textures are loading proper and staying fully loaded and not a single one keeps on rebaking, but like i said it feels like laggin badly.

i will share my computer stats, but i think its not a prob of the computer, well at least i hope so. :(

iMac, 3,6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB

so hopefully someone can help and know how i can solve one of the problems,... like a) that the official viewer stops rebaking all the time or b) the firestorm isn't that slow. thank you.

Hi Jordan. With such a configuration,  there is no reason why you should have such issues. Which OS are you on? And, do you by any chance use wireless? If you do, forget about it: use a regular Ethernet cable instead. You may also consider a clean reinstall of the viewer and see if it helps. Upgrading to Mountain Lion could help too if you haven't done it yet. 

You can also check your Internet performance here:

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_speedtest

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-improve-Viewer-performance/ta-p/1316923#Section_.2

As a last resort:

Typically, when you install a new version of the Second Life Viewer, you can simply install over your existing version.  However, if you are experiencing problems, one of the first things to do is completely uninstall your current version and reinstall the same or a newer version.  Sometimes this is referred to as a clean install.

A clean install may help if there is an unusual issue affecting the Viewer user interface (UI), or if a Resident is having difficulty loading UI elements such as windows or menus. It can also be done to restore lost settings or return things to a default setup, if somehow the settings in the Viewer have changed or become unusuable. It doesn't usually hurt and can sometimes fix things that otherwise defy explanation.

It's important to clear out temporary Second Life files (such as the cache) when reinstalling.

32px-KBnote.png Note: Uninstalling deletes your chat and IM logs. If you want to keep them, save the files before you uninstall. See Chat and IM logsfor more information.

Mac OS

1. Open Your Macs applications folder and find The Second Life viewers Icon
  2. Drag and Drop the Icon from the applications folder into the trash bin
  3. Open ~/Library/Caches/SecondLife and delete all of the cache files
  4. Empty the trash

thank you so much ladies.

for the offical viewer i tried update to mountain lion, delete the viewer, cleared cache, checked internet ( i am on cable ) its not the fastest connection but worked well the last years. - but the problem is still there. i checked my ping and it 238ms .. but the same is with phoenix so i guess that wont be the problem.

but after the mountain lion update it feels like phoenix isn't that slow anymore. seems like i have to get used to a new viewer. hurraaay :matte-motes-nerdy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.