Remembering Our Friends Memorial Closing 3-1-2013

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

02-02-2013 09:47 PM

Dear Remembering Our Friends Community,

It is with great sadness that I announce the permanent closure of Remembering Our Friends Memorial in Second Life.

The simple facts are the Community is no longer in support of this project, and I cannot support it on my own.

For those that have stood beside me, and worked to keep this going....Carlo, Tessie, Jezzie, Graine, David, Lars , Guy, (and IF I forget your name in this list, I am very sorry), we tried, and I thank you for your support over the past 7 years.

My dream 7 years ago was to have a permanent memorial sim to remember loved ones in Second Life. But more importantly it was to show support and love for those grieving their losses and help them move on. We have had no Linden support and although this project was planned for long term, the lack of financial support except for from a small group of folks, is more burden in tight economic times than I can afford to keep up.

I also know that the sim has helped many, and the need for that help has waned in the last year or so. In one way .. our goals were accomplished. Wishing it could continue for those in need in the future but no longer can I carry the financial obligation to the extent that's required.

I will always remember the people I have helped with ROF Memorials. A lot of you will ALWAYS have a place in my heart. It's never a good feeling to close something so many have loved and worked so hard to maintain, but there are other ways to show the love and support we want to give to others.

It's been a cherished and satisfying endeavor. That being said, please know that my desire to help those that need assistance for their loss will never go away. I'm always available to talk and comfort those who wish it.

Effective March 1st, 2013 Remembering Friends Memorial Will close. We will have some events this next month as we prepare to close this peaceful sim with respect and honor.

If you are interested in a copy of a plaque, you may purchase a No Transfer/No Modify/Copy for 250 Lindens. If you have a memorial that you had placed @ Remembering Friends Memorial, you are entitled to one Free No Modify/No Transfer/No Copy copy. Any additional copies can be purchased for 5,000.00 Lindens. These charges are needed to recover final SIM costs. I'll gladly field any questions you may have personally.

This is a bitter sweet day for me. My long loved project ends, but with every ending comes a new beginning of something else as heartfelt. Thank you once again for you support and love.

You can't look back with regret when a chapter is closed - you just have to find something better in the future.

Thank You for 7 Years of helping to Remember Our Friends,

Mike Burleigh Founder

Remembering Friends Memorial.

Yes I completely agree. 

Another option would be to create a rezzer based memorial. Could be hosted on say a 256 sqm plot. A bereaved friend comes along, cycles through the list of the departed and hits the rez button for their chosen memorial. Could potentially host hundreds of memorials in a very small space and also pass out copies of the rezzer to others who would be willing to host such a thing on their land. It certainly would not be as impressive as having a full region, but it's got to be better than nothing.

I believe that Mike would have to submit a Case with Support. A simple request.

If I had the time, and energy, I would build a case, as to why there is enough room in Linden Memorial Park, and then create a thread in General Discussion. I could discuss reasons why, that space should be used as a Memorial to Residents in SL.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.