hello, i have a question

Laxmadur

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Melita Magic wrote:

Thanks both. Still not sure I understand, but it sounds like something else I need to learn...some day.

Wonder if they have a "bring dinos into the new SL" class anywhere?

I don't know what LL offers regarding V3, but I can tell you from personal experience that the Firestorm support group is really good. I've asked a couple questions inworld and gotten answers within seconds. When I'm inworld they have someone who's an expert watching group chat. They may not do that all the time: I'm usually on in the SLT evenings.

In the Official Viewer and Firestorm and Exodus and probably any other viewer based on the V3 code, the land impact is displayed rather than prims when you are in edit or build.

To change from prim to convex hull is as easy as changing something from red to blue. It is a drop down menu in the edit window.

Linking in itself does not change land impact, only linking and then changing to convex hull reduces, or increases, land impact. In the case of mesh objects, resizing them decreases or increases their LI.

Basically, if someone imports a giant mesh elephant into Second Life it is only one object, what you might think of as one 'prim'. But then there would be way too many giant prims taking up all the resources, so land impact is a way to measure an objects use of resources rather than just counting how many objects make that object.

I have a floating island made of mesh, it is only one object but it has a land impact of 120.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

TY, but just for the record I dragged myself kicking and screaming into the then latest non-beta Firestorm a while back so I'm like, all mesh capable and stuff. I just haven't started playing with the convex hull and linking things because I haven't needed to do so. I will at some point. Probably ;-)

Yw, when you get a moment of time, rez two cubes, link them and in the Features tab change Physics Shape Type. That's all there is to it.

I shall, although I may experiment on stuff already in my house instead. All of the house and almost all of the furnishings were built one prim at a time. I'm thinking maybe I can see a big bonus if I do a little bit of research and testing. I just haven't gotten off my butt and done it yet because the status quo is working.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.