Photos, Hackers

MeganAmber

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi

I sent someone an rl pic of me , they sent it back later as we were not friends, i didnt notice at the time but it now says they downloaded it way before i sent it to them, does anyone know how this can be done. It has totally screwed my life up, and i'd like to prove to someone that i am not this person.....

6 answers to this question

If you see any photo, anywhere in Second Life, which claims to be you, and you did not Publicly share it, you have several Second Life options, to have the Photos removed.

And, several Legal options outside of Second Life. Those will mostly likely not be necessary.

Make a you tube video.

Use voice.

Find People who are less judgmental.

• Like 1

Let me see if I got this correct.  You sent a real life picture of yourself to someone and they sent it back to you because you and that person are not friends.  Sometime later you find out that this person who is not a friend of yours had previously downloaded your real life picture sometime before you sent the picture to that person.  And it's totally screwed up your life (the picture you sent?).  Now for whatever reason you feel it's necessary to prove to someone (or some group of someones) that you are not that person.  And finally you want to know how such a thing can be done.

Well after muddling through your post to make some sort of sense of what you are asking I've come to the conclusion that you are in the habit of sending your real life picture to people.....even if they are not friends.  That is not only not smart thing to do but it's right up there near the top of the most stupid you can do on the Internet.  Now, if you have done that or continue to do that I can easily answer how 'how this can be done."  One (or more) of those someones you have sent your real life picture to has shared your picture.........that's one of many ways your picture can get distributed in SL.  Another way that is just as possible is that you are just as careless on the Internet with your personal information as you appear to be in SL.....your real life picture could be on thousands of websites.  By the way, that's not "hacking".....it's you giving your pictures freely to someone and you not knowing the first thing about Internet security (it's your fault).

One more way I can see how your picture could be given to others and you not being the person who gave the pictures to others.  Someone accessed your SL account, found the pictures in your inventory, and gave the pictures to others (and him/herself).  It's likely that the SL servers were hacked by someone to gain access to your account (I'm sure a hardcore hacker could breach LL's network but those types are criminals after more than just a few pictures or textures.......those hardcore hackers go after the big bucks like banks or personal information to gain access to credit cards.  SL is not an attractive target for those type).  What happens when people's accounts are compromised is that the passwords are guessed........or the person foolishly gave it to them.  People tend to create passwords that are easy for them to remember and type......things like that cute kitten they got for their birthday.  Then those people happily share the fact that they got the cutest kitten and named him Socks.  And never miss the change to tell the latest cute story about what Socks did today.........it doesn't take an Einstein to guess that your SL password is "Socks".  And since they already know your username they are into your account quite easily.

As for proving that you are not that person (the one in the picture?).  That's going to be nearly impossible.

All the ways I've mentioned about how this can be done are entirely preventable.  All it takes is a little knowledge of Internet security and a healthy dose of common sense.  I think you need some work in both areas.

• Like 3

OMG - I was waiting for someone to say it. Why in God's name does anyone send a RL picture to someone here if they value their real life privacy. With the Google Picture Search engine the ability to identify a person in real life from a single picture is uncanny. I like your point on password security as well. Such drama just waiting to happen.

I've been reading these kind of "OMG, I've been hacked" threads for all of the nearly 7 1/2 years I've been in SL. And every one of those threads are by people who stupidly gave some information to someone that never should have been given. I've become somewhat callus I suppose...........I have no sympathy what so ever. If they are smart enough to turn on a computer and access the Internet they are also smart enough to take security seriously. If not then get the hell off the Internet before they get themselves hurt (or worse). I'm not one to coddle anyone who is old enough (they should be at least 16 years old and that is certainly old enough) to be in SL.....it's those type of people that eventually ruin things due to their stupidity. Look at how access to adult content has been restricted (not sexual context, adult content). It's because LL has to "protect" the stupid.

Now watch..........I'm going to get warned again by a mod for my candidness. Oh well. :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.