Rigged Mesh and Maya 2012-13 upload problem

Ayelin Ethaniel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3960 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings! Maybe my question has been answered but the forum is too big. I am looking for answer for days so i make a try in this way. :matte-motes-asleep-2:

I am usually working in maya to create in-world objects for a long time and i am also thinking in rigged mesh. I got maya file with original model with good bone hierarchy. As i want to upload my rigged model, the "include skin weight -joint positions" checkboxes are greyed out. When i upload, it will be a simple mesh.

I am using meters unit and Z up axis, As rigging my object is soft rigged and skin weight painted.

Is somebody has solution to my problem or how can i set up maya dae export? :matte-motes-zipped:

Assuming you did everything else right, there are a couple of common pitfalls that can cause the issue you described: 

One is your exporter is putting out the wrong COLLADA version for SL.  This is a common issue with the stock FBX/DAE exporter for Maya 2012.  For an easy fix, export to FBX instead, and then use Autodesk's stand alone FBX Converter program to convert the file to COLLADA 1.4.

The other is you might not have set up your rigging quite right.  Are you absolutely certain the skeleton has all the correct bone names and heirarchies?  And did you remember to uncheck "Remove unused influences" in the smooth bind options?

If turns out the problem is not one of those, we can explore other possibilities. But start with those, and report back.

• Like 1

Happens to the best of us.  It's not something you have to deal with on all platforms, so it's easy to overlook. 

Since SL only supports one skeleton, it requires that the full list of influences be present, even if the values of some of them happen to be zero.

• Like 1

Some tricks and solutions:

If you have no DAE_FBX export in export menu:

1. Download FBX Plugins for 3ds Max/Maya 2012-2013 from Autodesk
  2. In Maya from menu: Window -> Settings/Preferences -> Plugin Manager -> Check fbxmaya.mll

Second life is using z up axis. If your model is rotated do the following steps:
                 Window -> Settings/Preferences -> Settings Tab -> Set World Coordinate System Up axis to Z.

On Export:

• Under Export All Options click to -> Edit preset ...
  • Then in Advanced Options tab under Units uncheck Automatic and set File units converted to Meters.
  • Under Axis Conversion tab set Up Axis to Z.
  • Save preset and give any name what would you like to.
  • Export all. Under Presets tab select your custom preset then Export.

Use ONLY Smooth Bind. SL Can't handle Rigid Body [yet]
Uncheck "Remove unused influences" in the Smooth Bind Options

You can Download the default female avatar with skeleton for Maya

Good luck with Rigging! :matte-motes-grin:

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much for this Ayelin! Iam working on some rigged Meshes myself and i always had to switch to Blender for this. Now i hope this solves the problems that kept me away from doing the work with my favorite program.

Edit: For all maya users who have troubles opening the skeleton file provided: Check "Ingnore version" in your open preferences. The file is of  Maya 2013 type.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Doesnt work for me. The option to upload weights and joints is ALWAYS greyed out. I tried everything now and I am about to give up lol.

Fresh scene with skelleton and imported mesh in Maya 2012 64bit.

Smooth bind - Unused influences unmarked

Export selection Mesh + Skelleton

Export to FBX

FBX Converter 2011 with Collada 1.4.0

Upload in SL

No weights and no joints. It is greyed out while the mesh itself is fine. Rig works fine in Maya itself.

I followed the video above step by step and I dont know what to do anymore.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3960 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.