My friends list doesn't update and I am shown as "offline".

AliceLandings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I don't know where to post this so I'm leaving it in the account section.

When I log in my account works fine. But after I while it tells my friends I'm offline. Thanks to facebook I was able to communicate with a friend and I found that my messages to him go through but I am marked as offline and his messages to me don't arrive until the next time I log in. I have tried the regular viewer and Phoenix Firestorm and the problem persists. My friends list also stops updating when someone gets on or off. So I don't know if my friends or on or not until I send them a message but they can't reply even if they are on. I also tried clearing my cache and uninstalling my preferred viewer but that did nothing. I logged into a different sim and that also did nothing. I don't know what caused this or how to fix it but I can't realistically do anything while this problem persists except speak in local chat as that is the only thing that seems to work.

If this is the wrong area to ask for help please direct me to the right one. I want to fix the problem so I can talk to my friends. I haven't been able to for days now.

I am fairly certain that a firewall is not my problem. Thank you for the suggestion though.

I don't know what exactly you mean by operating system. I generally use Phoenix Firestorm as my viewer but I also have the regular sl viewer and when I tried logging in on that it still showed me as offline after a short time. It has been happening since about the start of the year. I only realized it was not just no one logging on or off, and the occasional bit if bad timing, until recently, thanks to facebook. Teleporting to a different region does not help. There are no restrictions currently on my avatar, and I have never seen any that would cause me to suddenly be shown as offline. I just recently updated Firestorm, a short while before this started happening, and at the suggestion of a friend deleted and re-installed it to see if it would fix the problem, but it did not. I hope this information helps. And thank you for your consideration.

I don't know what the problem was but it seems to be working now. It didn't work for days but I don't care so long as it does now. Thank you for your time.

4 answers to this question

Hello,

this is the first time I hear of this issue.

Would you care to post a little more information?

Which viewer and operating system you use?

Did this happen only once?

ETA: Does it help to teleport to another region? Also try upgrading to a newer viewer version. And make sure you don't have OTR and RLV with some restrictions enabled, if you're using a third-party-viewer.

If you mean that you log in and either everybody is offline in your friends list, or people are not even showing in your friend list, sometimes your L$ balance says ????? and inventory also does not work. Sending Messages to friends, or people messaging you will be directly sent to your email?

Any of this, usually is an SL issue i have it happen to me once in a while, it can take up to a day sometimes before it gets fixed. When contacting LL they ask me what viewer i'm using. I always use Firstorm, but after downloading the Official Viewer from Linden Labs everything worked fine again. 

So i suggest try  a different viewer, or download Metabolt, http://metabolt.net/ and see if it loads your friends up in there. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.