Flipped (or very confused) Ambient Map - Blender

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK. My first little house is coming along nicely and I can get in the door and it is only 7 LI (yeah!).

BUT ---- what's going on here? I am just trying to make a simple ambient map of the darkish insides on the floor. This is just one cube and it not linked to the rest of the house. In the screenshot you can see that while it looks OK on the model, the map is flipped somehow on the map graphic. Did I hit a hot key combo that told it to flip or something?  Know I have been a long time on this and need a break but it very odd. Hopefully something simple that I don't know about.

Edit: I do know I can "fix" this in my graphics editor; I just want to know why it happened :D and what I did wrong.

floorambient.png

When it gets in world it has a very nice shadow inside the room but it looks just like the map would lead you to believe it would -- with a dark shadow that shouldn't be there in the doorway.

Any clues appreciated. I have remade this a few times and I am not getting anywhere. Maybe I need to start with an all new floor prim??????

flippedmap.jpg

Something else that was catching my eye, is the bottum part of the floor is taking a large space in your texture. I think you don't need the bottum at all. Nobody is ever going to see the bottum of the floor, but it is now taking almosthalf of your texture. The quality of the visible parts can almost be doubled by deleting the bottum.

Another option, when you insist on having a bottum, is to make this bottum floor very small in the uv map. Since it won't be seen, you rather save the precious texture space for the important things that can be seen when the model is rezzed.

Well changing the mirror settings didn't help even when I remade the floor. Same very odd (even worse on the second try) behavior.  But I do believe I have it now so perhaps there was something not too great in my UV map ( I started over with new material, mapping et al.

I did remake the floor to make it thicker (skybox or uneven land) and I did make the bottom UV map square very small and will adjust as needed. Hence the floor area is much larger now.  While I do understand that a bottom doesn't really need to be there for land, it definitely would need to be there for sky. :D

So onward and thanks for pointing out the mirror option; I'll have to read up on all those things. A BIG program for sure. Poco a poco.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.