Help! Avatar won't log in!

Lorrainne Vaniva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi! I've tried a few troubleshooting tips from the forums for other people having trouble, but I'm still having a problem so I'm hoping the forum or someone can help me out. Next step is contacting LL.

My alt is having some problems, it started a couple days ago. When I log in, SL either closes right after logging in or after loading for a few seconds. A few days later, it's still a problem. No other accounts, including my main premium account, are having troubles.

Also, whenever I do manage to log in with the problem account for more than a second and before crashing, I also cause lag to users nearby or cause them to suddenly crash with the same error I get. The error I get on my main computer is a timeout connection with my graphics card.

I have tried: Clearing Caches. Clean install. Removing all items from my avatar, such as clothes and scripted objects. Logging into quiet regions. Trying different viewers, including the Beta. I have tried logging onto the character on OTHER COMPUTERS, two of them, and have had the same exact problem.

I have not been able to try: replacing skin/shape/eyes/etc. Changing/removing group tag. I can't do these because I can never log in long enough to get to the group window or replace outfit with a system default. So if these need done, I'll need LL's help.

I don't know what started it. I change my clothes/attachments/group tags/etc all the time so I don't have a clue what could be the catalyst.

Thanks for any help!

2 answers to this question

Have you tried getting rid of accumulated notifications? 

When you receive notifications, unless you dismiss them, they accumulate for later reading, in the small envelope icon on the lower right of the screen. Over time, they will grow in number. If you log out, these unread notifications are saved for when you next log in. If there are too many of them, processing them during next log in can cause a log in time out and you will be disconnected. The solution here is to delete the file with the saved notifications.

• Locate your Firestorm (or Second Life or Imprudence ....) settings folder. If you do not see this folder, you may need to show hidden folders.
    • On XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Application Data\Firestorm
      or use the environment variable %APPDATA%)
    • On Windows Vista and 7: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Firestorm
      (or use the environment variable %APPDATA%)
    • On a Mac: /Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Application Support/Firestorm
    • On Linux: ~/.firestorm
  • In this folder, open each folder which has the name of your SL account(s) and inside that, delete the file called open_notifications.xml - this will result in all past, unread notifications being lost.
  • Like 1

As well as Rolig's excellent answer if you still have this issue, try this weird trick:

1) Install one of the text only viewers

2) Login on a quiet or relatively empty region like Violet

3) Immediately go to the Current Outfit folder and remove all your attached objects, hair included.

4) Logout

~~~~

Then try to relog using the main Viewer [in a private area since you are most likely nude] and put on only trusted source skins, hair and clothes.

I had put on a gift hair product from a stranger [turned out it had weird scripts in it] several years back that took my session down and my friends as well.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.