Placing a color around the edges of clothing template

cenedraflame

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, 

I have recently discovered and both love and hate Photoshop.  I am in the process of putting colors on a template but this particular template has a distinctive edge which I would like a different color from the rest of the outfit.  Any advice on the best tool to use, I have tried the paintbrushes but I go over the edges and it looks unprofessional.  I tried the marquee tool to try and isolate just the edging but this does not seem to work.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks Ceddy

It may depend on which edges you are talking about.  If they are edges that are defined by your alpha channel --- for example, around a neckline ---  then it doesn't make any difference how sloppy you are. The alpha channel's boundaries will trim your paint right to the edge of the piece.  If it's an interior edge, you can still make a clean mask by using your pen tool to mark points along the edge and then smoothing the resulting line by using the Convert Point tool.  Take a look at this old, but very easy-to-follow tutorial by Natalia Zelmanov  >>> http://www.mermaiddiaries.com/2007/04/day-195-creating-clothes-with-photoshop.html   Once you have that done, you have a clean edge that you can use to mask your painting and keep any sloppy strokes from dribbling paint beyond your border.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.