Jump to content

Maya; Possible convert a ".mb" to ".ma" OR how to open files saved with "newer" with older version?


Lutricia Roux
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Hello!

I'm wondering if someone could please help me out here, I am interested in access and test the so called "StandardSizing" package provided for free on the marketplace. My problem is that (last time I checked at least) that the files are saved as ".mb" and are for a much newer version (2012 I believe, I'm on Maya 2008).

I did tried to contact the one who was named as creator of the box when I got it but no luck yet. I'll try to see if I can find out who else of them are involved, that might help out. In the meantime, I'll try to see if I can get some advice here :)

 I think I managed previously to solve this for another file by opening the ".ma" file and change required version to the one that I have. The problem is that I can't access the text file when it is saved as ".mb" (appologies if this is wrong, my memory fails me and at the moment I cant access the computer with Maya to check if I remember correctly).

My questions are as follows;

1. Is there anyone who knows if it is possible and if so, how, to convert a ".mb" file to a ".ma". file?

2. Is there someone with never versions of Maya that could save these files as ".ma" for me instead of ".mb"? Send me a message please and I get back to you with my email address (if it isn't already there in the profile).

3. Any other suggestions to solve this that I haven't thought of? Is there any option in newer Maya to save for older versions? If so, would there be anyone with newer versions that could help out here please?

Thank you in advance :)

Regards

Lutricia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In your options box for Open Scene in Maya, hit the checkbox for Ignore Version.  Now you'll be able to open .mb's and .ma's from all versions of Maya.  When opening scenes from newer versions, you'll get a warning, stating that some data has been lost, but that's usually not a big deal with simple scenes like this.  Scenes that contain complex functionality will likely break, since Autodesk loves to change how MEL works, from version to version.  But things that are common to all versions, like basic geometry, skeletons, etc., usually survive.

I use Maya 2009, and I can open the Standard Size files, with no apparent troubles.  While that's obviously not a guarantee it will work with 2008, I have a prettys strong suspicion it will be fine.

 

Now, to answer your questions as worded:


Lutricia Roux wrote:

1. Is there anyone who knows if it is possible and if so, how, to convert a ".mb" file to a ".ma". file?


The only way to do that is to open the .mb in Maya, and save it as .ma. 

 


Lutricia Roux wrote:

2. Is there someone with never versions of Maya that could save these files as ".ma" for me instead of ".mb"? Send me a message please and I get back to you with my email address (if it isn't already there in the profile).

If you can't get it to work by following the directions above, come back here and say as much, and I'll spit out a .ma for you, from Maya 2009.


Lutricia Roux wrote:

3. Any other suggestions to solve this that I haven't thought of? Is there any option in newer Maya to save for older versions? If so, would there be anyone with newer versions that could help out here please?

Maya's never had an option to save for older versions.  It's always been a mild annoyance.  However, it's never been a showstopper, because of the Ignore Versions option, and because .ma is easy enough to edit.


Lutricia Roux wrote:

The problem is that I can't access the text file when it is saved as ".mb" (appologies if this is wrong, my memory fails me and at the moment I cant access the computer with Maya to check if I remember correctly).


The reason you can't open a .mb in a text editor is because it's NOT a text file.  The letters "mb" stand for Maya Binary.  It's a binary file, which can only be read by Maya itself.

The reason .ma files can be opened in a text editor is because they ARE text files.  The letters "ma" stand for Maya ASCII.  ASCII, by definition, is text.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Chosen Few wrote:

In your options box for Open Scene in Maya, hit the checkbox for Ignore Version.  Now you'll be able to open .mb's and .ma's from all versions of Maya.  When opening scenes from newer versions, you'll get a warning, stating that some data has been lost, but that's usually not a big deal with simple scenes like this.  Scenes that contain complex functionality will likely break, since Autodesk loves to change how MEL works, from version to version.  But things that are common to all versions, like basic geometry, skeletons, etc., usually survive.

I use Maya 2009, and I can open the Standard Size files, with no apparent troubles.  While that's obviously not a guarantee it will work with 2008, I have a prettys strong suspicion it will be fine.

Wow, this worked great! Exactly like you said, I got a warning stating some data had been lost, but seemingly so far, nothing seems affected.


Chosen Few wrote:

Lutricia Roux wrote:

3. Any other suggestions to solve this that I haven't thought of? Is there any option in newer Maya to save for older versions? If so, would there be anyone with newer versions that could help out here please?

Maya's never had an option to save for older versions.  It's always been a mild annoyance.  However, it's never been a showstopper, because of the Ignore Versions option, and because .ma is easy enough to edit.


I can see what you mean now, when it is this easy, there isn't really a need for it either I guess.

 

 


Chosen Few wrote:


Lutricia Roux wrote:

The problem is that I can't access the text file when it is saved as ".mb" (appologies if this is wrong, my memory fails me and at the moment I cant access the computer with Maya to check if I remember correctly).


The reason you can't open a .mb in a text editor is because it's NOT a text file.  The letters "mb" stand for Maya Binary.  It's a binary file, which can only be read by Maya itself.

The reason .ma files can be opened in a text editor is because they ARE text files.  The letters "ma" stand for Maya ASCII.  ASCII, by definition, is text.

I expressed myself a bit unclear and not complete, I was going to say that previously when having access to the .ma file/ASCII file, I managed to open "newer" files by changing the version number in the text file. What I thought of to check was if it worked or not, but should have approximatelly the same effect as for checking the "Ignore version number", I remember I got the same warning message about lost data that time as well.

 

 

Anyhow, Chosen - thank you SO much for your fast respons and the advices. I greatly appriciate it! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...